The latest episode of The Bad Batch shifted focus away from Clone Force 99. In fact, aside from in one brief scene, we didn’t see them at all. Instead, the action was concentrated on the Twi’lek homeworld of Ryloth, and on some familiar characters from elsewhere in the Star Wars canon. Here are the important takeaways before we start speculated about The Bad Batch season 1, episode 12:
- The Empire has built a refinery on Ryloth and has its greedy Senator, Taa, in their pockets. But the people are still loyal to Cham Syndulla.
- Cham is reluctant to openly rebel against the Empire in order to preserve peace on Ryloth, and has some trust in the clone troopers he’s familiar with. But!
- Admiral Rampart and Crosshair clearly have other ideas. The refinery is being used as a garrison and they have designs on Gobi Glie, a rebel who is still unwilling to bend the knee, even with Cham trying to talk up the benefits of Imperial occupation.
- Hera Syndulla (!) and Chopper (!!) are fully on-board with Gobi’s efforts. They go with him to pick up weapons from Clone Force 99, but thanks to Crosshair, they’re ambushed on the way back and Hera is arrested for treason.
- Fearing Hera will be sentenced without trial, Cham ambushes the prison convoy. But it’s a setup. Admiral Rampart has Crosshair assassinate Senator Taa and blames Cham for the crime.
Star Wars: The Bad Batch season 1, episode 12 release date:
“Rescue on Ryloth” will be released exclusively on Disney+ on July 9, at the usual time of 3 a.m. ET/8 a.m. GMT. We don’t anticipate any changes to the schedule.
Predictions for Star Wars: The Bad Batch season 1, episode 12:
- Given the episode is titled “Rescue on Ryloth”, it stands to reason that it will focus on the Bad Batch freeing Cham and Hera from captivity.
- We know Crosshair is on the planet, so this seems like the perfect opportunity for a climactic stand-off between him and his old unit. Is there still potential for him to be redeemed?
- We know Hera, Cham, and Chopper all survive whatever happens. But Cham’s wife? Different story. I’m pretty confident she’ll end up dead, which will motivate Cham to renew his efforts against the Empire.
- Will Ryloth free itself from Imperial occupation? I suspect not, since The Bad Batch is, I think, occurring prior to the events of Lords of the Sith, a canon novel in which Darth Vader and Palpatine crash-land on Ryloth and run afoul of Cham and his repurposed Free Ryloth movement. So, “Rescue on Ryloth” will probably mark the start of that movement rising up against the Empire.