Next Time On… See season 2, episode 5 closing in
There are two big dramatic arcs going on in the second season of Apple TV+’s See. The first is whether or not Maghra’s family, now having discovered that she’s royalty, will be able to reunite with her despite Queen Kane’s meddling. And the second is an impending war between the nations of Pennsa and Trivantes, again orchestrated by Queen Kane, but also concerning Baba Voss’s long-time antagonistic relationship with his brother, Edo. The latest episode of the show brought us closer to both of these inevitable destinations, while also cameoing a couple of old characters and focusing particularly on the psyche of Tamacti Jun, Queen Kane’s former Witchfinder General. See season 2, episode 5 promises to bring all these potential conflicts into closer proximity, but before we start speculating, let’s take a brief account of where we are.
- Kofun was finally reunited with his mother but was dismayed to discover her on the brink of marriage to Lord Harlan. He didn’t take the news well at all and spent much of the episode sulking.
- Maghra wasn’t exactly thrilled about that union either, but she at least put it to good use by using Harlan’s brother, Kerrigan, to try and rescue Haniwa from Trivantes and bring her to Pennsa. The only problem is that she doesn’t yet know that Baba Voss has already removed her, meaning that this might well be taken as an act of war.
- Everyone hates and wants to kill Tamacti Jun, including Tamacti Jun himself, who almost meets his demise when his presence is discovered during a medical stopover with former fan-favorite character Bow Lion. It’s Paris who becomes Tamacti Jun’s savior and unlikely ally, but she’s hardly thrilled about it either.
See season 2, episode 5 release date
See season 2 episode 5 is set to release on September 24, 2021, at 12 a.m. ET on Apple TV+.
Where to watch online
As stated above, See is available to watch exclusively on Apple TV+, which requires a subscription.
Predictions and potential spoilers
Following the fifth episode, there will still be another three to go, which means we’re still in that awkward stage of the season’s arc when we’re not exactly rocketing towards the climax but moving the right pieces into the right places. With that in mind, I think we can expect more teases of the eventual conflicts to come, rather than those conflicts actually breaking out. I’d happily be proved wrong, though, so here’s what may or may not happen as the journey continues:
- The likelihood of Baba Voss, Haniwa, Paris, and the Compass actually reaching Pennsa and getting access to Maghra is slim. Chances are they’ll get closer than ever, but Queen Kane will obviously recognize the danger of allowing Baba Voss access to Maghra, so she’ll presumably do everything in her power to prevent that from happening.
- There’s still a war to consider. Kerrigan’s pointless mission to Trivantes is almost certainly facilitating this. He’ll likely get caught, which will put Harlan in an awkward position. Will his loyalty to his brother supersede his lust for power (or, for that matter, his lust for Maghra?) If anything is going to tip Pennsa into war with Trivantes, it’ll be this.
- Kofun is going to remain stuck on the inside, forced to deal with Maghra’s ruse, Queen Kane’s manipulations, and the rest of Pennsa’s politics. This will likely make him more isolated and prone to rash decision-making than ever, especially if Baba Voss and Haniwa are able to make it close.
- I still think we’re heading rather rapidly towards Tamacti Jun’s death, but since he was spared in the latest episode, that suggests to me that he’ll go out in a more meaningful sense, if not getting to take his revenge on Queen Kane then at least helping to ensure that Baba Voss can enact it for him.