Next Time On… Titans season 3, episode 9 – “Souls” old faces
As we approach the end of Titans‘ third season, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to figure out where it all might be going. The basic Gotham-based story setup might have been plucked from one of Batman’s most iconic arcs, but everything since then has been a freewheeling, unpredictable mish-mash of different influences and ongoing plot threads. With Titans season 3, episode 9, “Souls”, slated to mark the return of an old face, not to mention having to deal with the fallout of Scarecrow’s plan to poison the entire city and Starfire’s continuing, possibly otherworldly visions and blackouts, there’s plenty to speculate about. As of the previous episode, this is where things stand:
- Love is in the air! Sort of, anyway. Both Dick and Barbara and Blackfire and Conner have romantic connections that blossomed more fully here in “Home.”
- Gar and Jason’s friend Molly both decided to try and redeem Jason, which is obviously part of his ongoing arc as he grapples with his addiction to Scarecrow’s anti-fear toxin and is haunted by the guilt of what he has done while under the influence, particularly Hank’s death.
- Tim Drake, aka Robin #3, was properly introduced, spent the entire episode showing off how much he knew about the Bat-family’s various secret identities and alter-egos, and then got shot by Scarecrow when he tried to prove himself to Dick.
- In the episode’s final moments, Scarecrow tricked Starfire into doing his job for him, using her powers to blow up the floor of a water pumping station, allowing his toxin to infiltrate the city’s water supply.
Titans season 3, episode 9 release date
“Souls” is scheduled to release exclusively on HBO Max on September 23, 2021, at 3am EST.
Where to watch online
As mentioned above, Titans airs exclusively on HBO Max. Provided you have a subscription and the add-on, the service can also be accessed through platforms such as Xfinity, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Spectrum, YouTubeTV, and DirecTV.
Predictions and potential spoilers
Some of this is speculation, some of it is confirmed, but needless to say, there be spoilers ahead.
- Rachel is coming back! Last seen taking Donna Troy’s body to Themyscira in the hopes of reviving her, this season’s plot is definitely going to fold in Rachel. How remains to be seen, but one assumes she’ll probably be more powerful than ever after spending time with the Amazons.
- Is Tim Drake dead? Despite this season’s penchant for killing off major characters, I’d imagine not. Dick and co. still have plenty of losses to feel guilty about, so sacrificing a new character who still has plenty more to give wouldn’t make any sense, even on a character motivation level. The safest bet is that Dick decides to train him as the next Robin.
- What’s going on with Starfire? The smart betting money is on something to do with Tamaran and not the main plot. Her guilt over accidentally helping Scarecrow out will likely factor into her arc, but with Blackfire on-side now, it makes sense to me that Titans would tee up a more extraterrestrial plot, possibly for a fourth season.
- Will Gotham descend into chaos now that Scarecrow’s toxin is in the water? One assumes so, yes — perhaps Rachel’s powers are what’s needed to remedy that.