The latest episode of The Walking Dead was part par for the course, and part best episode in years. Unfortunately, all the best stuff was basically one-and-done, and won’t have much to do with anything going forwards. But there was some progression of Daryl’s infiltration of the Reapers, and the reintroduction of Connie and Virgil, not to mention the sheer, in-the-moment terror of the scariest antagonists that the show has introduced in years. The Walking Dead season 11, episode 7, “Promises Broken”, seems like it’ll develop the plotlines of Daryl and the Reapers, as well as Maggie and Negan, while continuing to gradually introduce the Commonwealth. Here’s where we are:
- Daryl, still playing the role of a drifter who has no allegiance to the Alexandrians, tortured Frost for information and eventually got the location of the safe house where Maggie, Negan, and Father Gabriel were hiding.
- Daryl, Leah, and Carver went to that location, where Maggie and co. hid in a secret cellar while Daryl tried to convince the others to leave, all while maintaining his cover. It was a successful gambit, but by the time they all return to the Reapers’ base, Pope is very happy with what he has learned from Frost in Daryl’s absence, and the relationship between Daryl and Carver is more fraught than ever.
- Meanwhile, Connie and Virgil got trapped in a giant house of horrors where they were hunted by cannibalistic feral people living within the walls. While both were able to escape, Virgil was badly wounded and his fate remains uncertain.
- At the end of the episode, Connie reunited with Kelly and the rest of the Alexandrian search party.
The Walking Dead season 11, episode 7 release date
“Promises Broken” is slated to release on October 3, 2021, at 9 pm ET, on AMC. The new episode has already premiered on AMC+ on September 26, 2021, since the streaming service is making new episodes available a week in advance.
Where to watch online
Since The Walking Dead is such a popular and longstanding show, there are many different ways to check out the latest episode. The most efficient for die-hard fans is, obviously, an AMC+ subscription, which allows you to view the episode a week before everyone else. Using AMC’s app or website, the episode can be live-streamed at the date and time above when it officially airs, and anyone else can access the episode via a litany of live TV streaming platforms such as Spectrum, Sling TV, DirecTV, Fubo TV, Philo TV, Xfinity, Apple TV, and YouTube TV.
Predictions and potential spoilers
With Connie now back home, more or less, the Alexandrians can at least focus on trying to fix up Alexandria. Daryl will undoubtedly be pleased by this development, but that’s provided he’s able to find out about it since his position within the Reapers seems tenuous at best. Since it looks like Maggie and Negan’s plot will soon intersect with his, we’ll have to wait and see, but here’s some logical speculation:
- No more feral people. One imagines they were all killed during “On in the Inside”, though their legacy might be felt in Virgil. Will he survive his injuries? I suspect so, but I can’t imagine he’ll become a longstanding character. If his attempts to save Connie at his own expense are seen as redemption for what happened between him and Michonne, then the show might not have much more use for him.
- We didn’t see anything from the Commonwealth this week, so it’ll doubtlessly crop up in “Promises Broken”. Eugene and co. are clearly going to be offered some sort of deal in exchange for not being banished after their crimes, but it’s hard to say what that deal will entail.
- Daryl’s attempts to maintain his cover with the Reapers will likely continue and become more fraught. Remember, Pope learned something from Frost that made the former particularly happy. Did it pertain to Daryl’s real identity?
- Negan, at least judging by the promo, seems like he’s going to teach Maggie the ways of the Whisperers that he learned under Alpha. Are they going to lead a horde to Meridian to help free it from Reaper control?