Next Time On… Scenes from a Marriage episode 5 – “In the Middle of the Night, in a Dark House, Somewhere in the World”
The latest episode of Scenes from a Marriage was, I think, the only good one, though the wider critical community has been kinder to the show overall than I’ve been. There does seem to be some agreement that “The Illiterates” was very good though; a painful, traumatic exploration of how love ends in a flurry of painful words and actions that can never be taken back. With only one episode remaining, Scenes from a Marriage episode 5 doesn’t have much time to explore the aftermath of that pain, though it’s sure to try. Here are the events it’ll be building off of:
- It had come time for Jonathan and Mira to divvy up their possessions and finally sign their divorce papers, but only Jonathan seemed keen to do so.
- Jonathan also seemed keen to have sex, but after that, the real arguments began.
- Mira has separated from Poli since she didn’t want to endure IVF to have his baby, which he has deemed non-negotiable at this point, and she has also lost her job. Rather than sign the divorce papers she wants to hit the reset button on the whole thing and go back to how things were.
- Jonathan, though, was having none of that. He’s doing well professionally, Ava doesn’t resent him in the way that she does Ava, and he has finally come to terms with being separated from his wife. Now, he can even have sex with her while knowing he can live without it, which he tells Mira to her face.
- Eventually, the argument devolves into an actual physical fight, and both sign the divorce papers silently on the floor.
Scenes From a Marriage episode 5 release date
“In the Middle of the Night, in a Dark House, Somewhere in the World” will premiere on October 10, 2021, at 9 pm ET on HBO. It is the fifth of five hour-long episodes.
Where to watch online
As mentioned above, the latest episode will be available on HBO, either through cable subscription, or services such as DirecTV, Xfinity, Spectrum, and YouTube TV. HBO Max will also stream the episode.
How will Jonathan and Mira come back from this disastrous moment in their separation? Well, let’s have a guess.
- Time will have passed — probably the most since the initial separation. I imagine we’ll find Jonathan and Mira in radically different places, perhaps with different people.
- While Jonathan and Mira almost certainly won’t have reconciled in any meaningful sense, they’ll very likely still have a connection — and it’ll also very likely be unhealthy for both of them.
- In the original Swedish series, the two main characters carry on an affair with each other years later, despite having both remarried. This could very well be what we see here; it makes sense for the show to establish that one can never be truly happy without the other.