Next Time On… Mayor of Kingstown season 1, episode 2 – “The End Begins”
Taylor Sheridan’s new crime drama, which reunites him with Jeremy Renner for the first time since Wind River, wasted no time in introducing us to the McLusky family. Fixers in the prison town of Kingstown, Mitch and Mike help to keep a delicate balance between the inmates, law enforcement, and organized crime, and in typical Sheridan fashion, they don’t do a particularly good job of it. The premiere had some unexpected developments out of the gate, and Mayor of Kingstown season 1, episode 2 looks to expand on those as the show settles into its run. Here’s where we stand at the moment:
- Mike McLusky is the so-called “mayor” of Kingstown because he runs the place, whatever the real mayor might think. This, though, gets him in a spot of bother.
- Milo, an incarcerated though influential felon, tasks his wife, Vera, with getting Mike and Mitch to recover $200,000 from a stash spot in the woods. Mike and the third McLusky brother, Kyle, recovered the dough, but just in time for it to be swiped by a local hood.
- That hood didn’t just steal Milo’s money. He also followed Vera home, raped her and killed her, and then shot Mitch in the back of the head to try and cover up his involvement.
- Almost immediately, the police track Mitch’s killer down, and engineer a scenario in which he’s shot to death rather than being taken alive.
- Mike became the new mayor of Kingstown following his brother’s death, despite not being particularly suited to the position given his temperament.
Mayor of Kingstown season 1, episode 2 release date
“The End Begins” is scheduled to premiere on Paramount+ on Sunday, November 21st, 2021. It’s the second of ten total episodes airing weekly between now and Sunday, January 16th, 2022.
Where to watch Mayor of Kingstown online
As mentioned above, Mayor of Kingstown episode 2 will air exclusively on Paramount+. Since Paramount+ is still making a name for itself in the Streaming Wars, there will be many new customers signing up for the service on the strength of original shows such as this one. Membership is $4.99 or $9.99 a month (the latter is the premium package), or $49.99/$99.99 on an annual plan.
“The End Begins” predictions
Plenty happened in the premiere that raises all kinds of questions for subsequent episodes, so based on what we know already let’s make some assumptions about where things might be going:
- Mike is, obviously, going to take on Mitch’s responsibilities, presumably beginning with the woman who requested his help at the end of the premiere. One suspects he’ll take on these cases while working towards the bigger issue with Milo, so we can expect a balance between procedural stuff and the overarching plot.
- Mike is going to have to establish himself in the mayor role, and that’s going to mean pressing some flesh and making some deals. He’s a very different personality from Mitch, and I suspect a good chunk of “The End Begins” will be about highlighting their different ways of doing things.
- Milo is going to be furious. He was name-checked several times in the premiere, but his presence wasn’t really felt. I’m sure an introduction to him, however brief, will be on the cards here.
- Bunny feels betrayed by what happened between his man and the prison guards, and the last time he saw Mike he and his gang pulled guns on him. That arrangement is sure to remain tentative, at the very least.