Showtime’s new teen drama meets survivalist horror-thriller Yellowjackets is probably going to be a hit. It has all the right elements, from pretty girls fretting about their university placements to… cannibalism. Boasting a dual timeline that splits focus between 19 months in the Ontario wilderness and the 25-years-later present-day, the show looks to provide a new spin on the old Lord of the Flies setup by not just depicting how the kids quickly descend into primitivism but how the survivors fare as adults. The pilot might have been primarily devoted to set-up, but Yellowjackets season 1, episode 2, “F Sharp”, seems likely to really hone in on the concept as we find the girls stranded and becoming increasingly desperate. Here’s where we left things:
- The titular Yellowjackets are a dysfunctional soccer team heading for nationals, captained by Jackie, whose best friend, Shauna, is sleeping with her boyfriend, Jeff.
- Tai, one of the girls, badly injures a new player when she suspects she might harm their chances at nationals.
- During the trip to nationals, the private plane goes down over the Rocky Mountains and the girls are left stranded.
- In the present day, Shauna is married to Jeff, and still has a relationship with Tai, who is running for state senator.
- Natalie, fresh out of rehab, begins following an adult Misty, who works in a care home.
- Someone posing as a journalist offers Shauna a seven-figure book deal to tell her story, but it’s clear that the survivors don’t want any details of the story getting out under any circumstances.
Yellowjackets season 1, episode 2 release date
“F Sharp” is slated for release on November 21, 2021, at 10 p.m. ET on Showtime.
Where to watch Yellowjackets online
“F Sharp” predictions
Now that the introductions are out of the way, there are many things that could and probably will happen in both timelines. Don’t expect all the answers to be revealed immediately, but definitely do expect “F Sharp” to get the ball rolling in the right direction.
- Almost certainly we’ll be dealing with the immediate aftermath of the crash. The girls are going to realize that they’re cut off from the outside world, and are going to have to organize if they want to survive.
- On the back of that, organizing is going to be difficult with so many egos at play. You can virtually guarantee a squabble for leadership.
- Setting the stakes with some injuries is likely. It’s hard to say who will be immediately imperiled, but this is a big cast, and there are significantly fewer present-day survivors than those who survived the crash. So, that group is going to start dwindling, one assumes initially thanks to natural causes to establish the danger of the environment.
- In the present day, we can expect Shauna and Tai to try and keep things covered up while they figure out who the “journalist” really is and what she wants.
- Natalie will presumably go after Misty, but the true extent of that relationship remains mysterious.