Next Time On… The Shrink Next Door season 1, episode 5 – “The Family Tree”
In the latest episode of Apple TV+’s true-story character study, Ike took his manipulations of Marty to a new level after realizing a) that he was considerably wealthy and b) that Bonnie having two twin daughters was putting a considerable strain on his finances. You can see this as Ike really beginning to see Marty as a bottomless well of high-class life and societal influence, the two things Ike covets the most, so it represents a significant turning point in the series. Before we get into The Shrink Next Door season 1, episode 5, which is titled “The Family Tree”, let’s just briefly take account of where we are:
- Bonnie had twin girls, putting Ike, who wanted at least one boy, in a difficult position. He’s falling asleep at work and having to spring for childcare to give Bonnie a break, which he can’t justify not paying for after spending a small fortune on deli food for the bris he assumed he’d be hosting for his son.
- After discovering that Marty is basically rich, Ike talks him into setting up a charitable foundation as a 50/50 partnership, and Marty, gullible as he is, is perfectly willing to do so despite it being the furthest thing from 50/50.
- Ike intends to make a name for the foundation at a swanky gala, where he throws Marty’s money around like confetti and eventually gives him a minor heart attack by betting over the odds on a baseball during the auction.
- Hannah, Marty’s new love interest, sees right through Ike, so he also convinces her to stop seeing Marty, which is supposedly for his own good. Of course, he would say that, wouldn’t he?
The Shrink Next Door season 1, episode 5 release date
“The Family Tree” is slated to air on November 26, 2021, at 12 a.m. ET, exclusively on Apple TV+
Where to watch The Shrink Next Door online
As mentioned above, The Shrink Next Door is exclusive to Apple TV+. The streaming platform is available with a subscription costing $4.99 per month. New subscribers get a 7-day free trial.
“The Family Tree” predictions
Now that Ike has firmly embedded himself in Marty’s life, the main thrust of the next few episodes is going to be, one assumes, him exploiting Marty more and more. Here are some things that might happen in The Shrink Next Door episode 5:
- With Phyllis and presumably Hannah both having been cut off by Marty on Ike’s instruction, Ike should have Marty all to himself. But will Hannah go away that easily given she clearly knows what’s going on and Marty has a clear connection with her?
- Ike made a “generous donation” to a private school in order to secure the future of his daughters’ education, and he made it from the Yaron Foundation’s account. How will Marty take that?
- On the same subject, at what point will Ike’s “industrial consultancy” business start doing more harm than good? Remember, Marty used to lecture Phyllis about the inheritance money not being infinite, and his company isn’t doing well. In order for Ike to continue milking Marty, he also has to keep him financially solvent.
- Will Marty begin to push back against Dr. Ike? Or will Ike’s latest schemes cause Marty to become even more isolated and dependent on him? One assumes the latter.