This week’s double-bill of Our Beloved Summer really tightened up the character drama, allowing some of the comedy to fall by the wayside as we really interrogated the headspaces of Yeon-su and Ung, particularly focusing on why they split up so many years ago. Both episodes — you can read our recaps by clicking these words and clicking these ones — laid some really strong foundations for Our Beloved Summer season 1, episode 7 & 8, the release information of which can be found below. First, though, here were the big takeaways:
- First, a love triangle began to emerge, with flashbacks detailing the roots of Ung and Ji-ung’s friendship also revealing that Ji-ung is as fond of Yeon-su as anyone — he’s such a loyal friend, though, that he has always been willing to shelve his own feelings to protect Ung.
- Similar flashbacks also delved into Yeon-su’s past, particularly her feelings of inadequacy and inferiority given her social standing, and revealed that the root cause of her breakup with Ung was her own pride, since she was fearful of him discovering how she really felt about his success.
- After the cliffhanger ending of Episode 5, Yeon-su is able to swerve the issue for a little longer, but by the end of Episode 6, Ung has confronted her about the breakup and why neither of them have been able to address it until now.
Our Beloved Summer season 1, episodes 7 and 8 release date
Our Beloved Summer season 1, episode 7 will be released on Netflix on the 27th of December 2021 and we don’t anticipate any changes in scheduling. Our Beloved Summer season 1, episode 8 will be released the day after.
Where to watch online
Our Beloved Summer is a Korean drama on Netflix and is available to stream on the platform (with a subscription). Viewers can watch the episode by tuning into the platform every Monday and Tuesday.
With the drama clearly having reached a turning point, here’s where things may go in the next couple of episodes:
- Having addressed the past, Yeon-su and Ung can presumably work towards reconciling. It’s clear that they both still have feelings for one another, and Yeon-su is realizing that the breakup was probably a mistake in the first place.
- As Yeon-su and Ung become closer, this is where we’ll see the potential love rivals come into play. Yeon-su obviously has the affections of Ji-ung and possibly Mr. Jang, while Ung’s relationship with NJ seems rife for drama.
- Yeon-su’s admittance that her pride caused the breakup of their relationship in the first place might encourage some other characters to live their truths, and that might well lead to Ji-ung confessing his feelings sooner rather than later. Given his longstanding relationship with Ung and his importance to the documentary, that could cause all kinds of problems.