After months of speculation but very little fanfare, Disney+’s eagerly anticipated The Book of Boba Fett debuted today with a premiere that felt like a solid slice of small-screen Star Wars storytelling. It might have lacked some of the major, continuity-redefining twists that defined, say, The Mandalorian, but that could very well come in time. After this scene-setting installment, there’s plenty to speculate about when it comes to The Book of Boba Fett season 1, episode 2, so let’s recap where we are:
The Book of Boba Fett season 1 premiere recap:
- “Stranger in a Strange Land” split its time between two narrative strands — one in the past, immediately after Boba’s presumed death in The Return of the Jedi, and the other following The Mandalorian, with Boba and Fennec Shand establishing themselves as the new crime bosses on Tatooine in the absence of Jabba the Hutt and Bib Fortuna.
- When many of Tatooine’s influential figures came to pay tribute, Boba was offended by the majordomo of Mos Espa’s mayor and refused to pay tribute to the mayor in return.
- Later, Boba and Fennec were attacked by free-running ninjas working for someone as-yet-unknown, though Fennec was able to take one captive while Boba’s two Gamorrean bodyguards carried him back to his bacta tank.
- In the flashback sequences, after escaping Jabba’s sarlacc pit and being captured by some Tuskan Raiders, Boba was able to win his captors over somewhat by strangling a giant monster to death.
The Book of Boba Fett season 1, episode 2 release date:
The Book of Boba Fett episode 2 releases on January 5, 2022, exclusively on Disney+, and will be available to stream at 12:01 am PST or 3:01 am EST. The streaming platform has elected to drop all of its big releases on a Wednesday rather than a Friday, presumably so as not to compete too directly with other platforms.
Where to watch The Book of Boba Fett online:
As mentioned above, The Book of Boba Fett is exclusive to Disney+, which is only available with a subscription.
How many episodes will The Book of Boba Fett have?
The Book of Boba Fett Season 1 will have seven episodes, each airing on a Wednesday, but there are, naturally, plans for the show’s story to continue beyond this initial batch.
Predictions for the next episode:
While the premiere was primarily devoted to setup, as premieres often are, there is still lots of potential for The Book of Boba Fett going forwards, particularly in how it might intersect with other Star Wars characters and stories. Some idle speculation, then:
- Are we going to maintain the dual timeline structure the whole way through? Given that the premiere ended with Boba having won the respect of the Tusken Raiders, there’s probably more story to be told here.
- I’m sure Boba will be fine after the Gamorreans got him back to the bacta tank, but why is he always in there? Given how bacta works in the canon, sleeping in a tank every night would only be necessary if Boba was in constant pain or had some kind of worsening condition. Worth keeping an eye on?
- Were the free-running ninja assassins the “delegation” that the mayor’s majordomo promised in response to Boba’s rebuke? Possibly. Given Fennec Shand was able to capture one, I guess we’ll find out.