This article contains predictions for the Hulu series The Dropout season 1, episode 5.
With “Old White Men” Elizabeth acquires the multi-million dollar investments of two major retail companies without demoing the device or showing any of the clients around their labs. Elizabeth Holmes is one clever cookie. This tale of manipulation has to be seen to be believed. Here’s what happened in episode four of The Dropout:
- Elizabeth pitched to Walgreens and Safeway at the Theranos headquarters.
- The companies were suspicious because Elizabeth didn’t allow them to observe the labs or the device itself. Elizabeth explained that they were worried about a rival company stealing the device. They were apprehensive to show potential investors until they had signed the paperwork for the deal.
- Ian Gibbons, head of chemistry, is also concerned about the company and speaks to an unhelpful board member. Elizabeth finds out straight away and fires Ian on the spot.
- Other scientists revolt and Ian is rehired, but now in a different, office-based role.
- Walgreens are highly skeptical of Elizabeth and ask to leave. Elizabeth states that Walgreens are old-fashioned and this isn’t going to work anyway. Before leaving they must sign NDAs.
- The competing company Safeway are told the exact same thing and discuss this with Walgreens as they both sign the disclosures in the foyer.
- Whilst the two retailers are signing paperwork, Elizabeth rushes by saying she’s late for her flight to Boston, yet this is all an act. Jay Rosan believes this flight is to meet with a third competitor.
- In a hilarious scene, Jay rushes over to his boss’s car and locks them both inside. He makes a final plea to Wade that they must go with Theranos. He reluctantly accepts the deal.
- Elizabeth manages to gain both investors through her cunning plan, but she is still wary of one Walgreen employee (Kevin Hunter), who is still suspicious, seeing through her lies.
The Dropout season 1, episode 5 release date
The next episode is scheduled to premiere on Hulu on Thursday, March 17th, 2022.
Where to watch online
Viewers worldwide can catch The Dropout season 1, episode 5 on Hulu and Disney+ at the date mentioned above.
- Kevin Hunter will continue to pry into operations and tell his bosses that the device is unsafe.
- Elizabeth will either blackmail or manipulate Kevin into changing his opinion or just flat-out leaving the company. She won’t rest until Kevin is silenced.
- The conditions for Theranos staff will continue to be authoritarian and secretive, leading to further rebellion, possibly led by Ian Gibbons.
- Like I stated last time, all the lies and fraudulent activity will finally catch up with Elizabeth as either a disgruntled ex-employee or the media will expose the entire operation. It’s got to happen sooner rather than later, surely?