This article contains predictions for the Apple TV+ series Pachinko season 1, episode 8, the finale.
“Chapter Seven” focused on the formative years of criminal heartbreaker Hansu in a welcomed return to form for the show. We delved into Hansu’s past and discovered a complex and moving backstory, which goes someway to explaining the merchant’s intricate personality. This, the penultimate episode, again highlighting the poverty and inequality of Korean’s living in Japan. Here’s what happened in episode seven of Pachinko:
- In 1923 Yokohama, Hansu tutors a wealthy American student and his father works for a crime family. Hansu is a smart and promising mathematician with dreams of moving to America one day. The Holmes family offer him this opportunity to leave for Yale.
- Hansu’s father steals money from the crime syndicate and is given mere hours to retrieve it. Hansu offers to pay back the debt with a loan from the Holmes family, but his father is too proud. He gets aggressive and beats up poor Hansu, stating you must forget about me and move to America.
- Hansu goes against his father’s wishes and offers to pay the debt himself. The father begs on his knees as an earthquake occurs, destroying the building. Hansu’s father is killed by falling beams from the ceiling. The survivors run out into the streets.
- Hansu makes it to the Holmes’ house as they are packing to leave. He accepts their offer to move to Yale and together they attempt the perilous journey to the harbour. The mother passes Hansu her pearl necklaces, which he wears for safe keeping. The streets are clouded in thick smoke and buildings collapse around them. Suddenly, they are separated from one another.
- Hansu meets up with the crime boss and they exit the city together. There are rumours that Koreans have escaped from the local jail and are on the loose. Japanese men hunt down the prisoners and burn them alive.
- Hansu discovers the dead bodies of the Holmes family and takes the mother’s pocket watch. This is the very same one he gifts to Sunja years later.
- The crime boss is reunited with his family and tells Hansu he must now pay off his father’s debt by working for him.
Pachinko season 1, episode 8 (finale) release date
The next episode is scheduled to premiere on Apple TV+ on Friday, April 29th, 2022. The release time is 12 am PT.
Where to watch online
Viewers worldwide can catch Pachinko season 1, episode 8 (finale) on Apple TV+ at the date mentioned above.
- In the finale Hansu will hunt down Sunja and they will have an emotional discussion. He may even offer to leave his wife and children for her, but she will protest.
- Sunja’s first son Noa will die and she will be heartbroken. The show will address her struggles in those early years, where she finds a job and works her way up the social ladder.
- Solomon will have a heartfelt discussion with Hana and decide what to do with his future.
- The new Pachinko parlour business may kick start and become a success.
- Older Sunja will find solace with her family.