Epix’s new Billy the Kid origin story debuted its first three episodes on May 24, 2022, and they made for a decent albeit overly familiar foray into the Old West. The good news is that the necessary context of Billy’s earliest years as an Irish immigrant from New York have now been chronicled, and with both his parents and his brother now having succumbed to the perils of the frontier — a deadly depression in the case of his father, and tuberculosis in the case of his mother and brother — his days as a proper outlaw can likely begin in Billy the Kid season 1, episode 4, titled “Interlude”. Below is everything we know about that episode, including some speculation, but first, here’s where we’re up to:
- Billy moved from New York with his mother, father, and brother in order to seek better circumstances in the unsettled West, but the promised utopia turned out to be a nest of rapists and murderers.
- The harsh journey resulted in a deep depression that Billy’s father never recovered from. Kathleen eventually remarried, but her new spouse, a lecherous conman named Henry Antrim, proved more trouble than he was worth.
- In an effort to pay for his brother Joe’s tuberculosis treatment, Billy stole some cattle alongside another outlaw named Jesse Evans (at least in part because the rancher being robbed had unfairly refused to consider Billy for a cowboy job thanks to his relationship with Ash Upson, a journalist making no secret of his investigation into the Santa Fe Ring.)
- Nevertheless, Joe eventually succumbed to “consumption”, and Kathleen followed him shortly after, leaving Billy alone.
- The attempted robbery of a Chinese laundry, also with Evans, landed Billy three years in jail despite him not having stolen anything or hurt anyone. The third episode ended with him escaping captivity by feigning suicide.
Billy the Kid season 1, episode 4 release date
“Interlude” is slated for release on May 1, 2022. It’ll be the fourth of a planned eight episodes releasing weekly every Sunday. Here’s the full schedule:
- Billy the Kid season 1, episodes 1, 2, and 3 released on April 24, 2022.
- Billy the Kid season 1, episode 4, “Interlude”, will release on May 1, 2022.
- Billy the Kid season 1, episode 5, “A Little Bit of Paradise”, will release on May 8, 2022.
- Billy the Kid season 1, episode 6, “Fate”, will release on May 15, 2022.
- Billy the Kid season 1, episode 7, “At the House”, will release on May 22, 2022.
- Billy the Kid season 1, episode 8, “The Rampage”, will release on June 5, 2022.
Where to watch Billy the Kid online
Billy the Kid is exclusive to Epix, which is available as an add-on for another popular platforms such as Amazon Prime and FuboTV.
Preview and predictions for “Interlude”:
The official synopsis for this episode is as follows:
Billy finds fresh trouble when he falls in with a character called Alias; he kills a man in self-defense and ends up on the run, and then in the arms of a young woman – who also happens to be the girlfriend of Jesse Evans.
- Judging by the above and what we’ve seen thus far, I think it’s here that we will see Billy’s outlaw career begin in earnest. He spent most of his life — and indeed died — as a wanted man, and he’ll command a high price after his prison escape in the third episode.
- Billy’s obvious first port of call will be Jesse, but based on the above, it seems that relationship will be threatened by love. (It’s worth noting that Evans, a real-life outlaw, is mostly known for his mysterious disappearance in 1882, after which he was never seen or heard from again. That’s good news since it means that Billy the Kid can do basically anything with the character.)
- Aside from the prison escape, will Billy also face repercussions for stealing the rancher’s cattle? It seemed like a minor event to show Billy was heading down the wrong path, but the show made no secret of the rancher being connected to the Santa Fe Ring, and he has a whole team of cowboys working for him.
- Billy is going to have to maintain a relationship with Upson in order to keep him connected to the Santa Fe Ring subplot, which will later (presumably) factor in to the most significant period of his history, the Lincoln County War. Since Upson was already disgusted at Billy’s unfair sentencing, he’ll probably become an ally of him who might use his lawlessness to help expose the rings.