This article is a preview for Obi-Wan Kenobi season 1, episode 3, and may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
It’s finally here! Almost as an apology for the years of speculation and the months of delays, Disney+ have released the first two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi. And they’re good, which was always kind of a risk given the show’s troubled production and enduring air of secrecy, especially given reviews were embargoed until after its official release. As of now, it feels like a nice mix of nostalgia, fan service, and some newer elements that’ll hopefully help to shape the story in its own right. Here’s what happened in “Part 1” and “Part 2”:
- Obi-Wan has been hiding out on Tatooine for ten years, keeping an eye on Luke Skywalker. His abilities and desire for action have both diminished.
- The Empire’s Inquisitorius are hunting the remaining Jedi, and one of them, the Third Sister, Reva, is particularly obsessed with finding Kenobi.
- Reva organizes for Princess Leia, who is living with her adoptive parents Breha and Bail Organa on Alderaan, to be kidnapped in order to lure Kenobi out of hiding.
- The plan works, and Kenobi tracks Leia to a lawless port planet named Daiyu, where he’s able to rescue her. In the process, he also meets Haja, a grifter who impersonates a Jedi and also helps Obi-Wan and Leia escape on a cargo vessel.
- Reva kills — or at least skewers — the Grand Inquisitor when he tries to interfere in her plans.
Obi-Wan Kenobi season 1, episode 3 release date
The third episode will be released on Wednesday, June 1, at 8 am GMT. Despite the first two episodes airing on a Friday, subsequent episodes will return to the usual midweek slot alongside the forthcoming Ms. Marvel. This will be the third episode of a planned six, airing weekly through June 22, 2022.
Where to watch Obi-Wan Kenobi online
Preview and predictions for the next episode:
- So, I presume we’re going to be doing this odd-couple buddy-adventure thing for the next few episodes, with Obi-Wan becoming attached to young Leia?
- Is the Grand Inquisitor dead? I don’t know how he’d managed to survive being skewered with a lightsaber, and if Reva is going to pin that on Obi-Wan, which I assume she is, then that plan only works if the Grand Inquisitor is dead and buried.
- Who does Haja know? While the grifter doesn’t seem to be very physically competent, he knew how to get Obi-Wan and Leia off-world, and he made mention of “they”. Who are they?
- I suspect we’re building towards another confrontation between Obi-Wan and Vader, but it’ll take time to get there. Expect a few more glimpses of Vader next week.
- Why is Reva so obsessed with capturing Obi-Wan? Is it just to impress Vader, or is there a more personal element?