This article contains predictions for the HBO series The Rehearsal season 1, episode 3.
The social experiment addresses parenting in “Scion”. It’s another hilarious and fascinating deep-dive into the mind of comedian Nathan Fielder as he attempts to simulate parenthood in meticulous detail. Here’s what happened in episode two of The Rehearsal:
- Fielder watches a woman look after a baby on monitors. The baby is then switched for another baby, behind the mother’s back.
- Fielder narrates, stating that parenting is a life event you just can’t prepare for, unless you have a crew of child actors at your disposal. He plans to simulate raising a child from zero to eighteen in just two months.
- Angela is the test subject, a 44-year-old who has never had a child of her own due to her circumstances. She wants the project to take place in the countryside, so the crew relocate to rural Oregon and rent a large house for the simulation.
- They simulate adopting a baby, which Angela names Adam. Adam will then be played by numerous child actors, aging three years each week. A baby can only be on set for four hours due to state laws, so they seamlessly switch babies after each shift. This is demonstrated with a hilarious car park switcheroo.
- The project is still missing a father figure though, so Angela goes on a few dates and connects with a man called Robin.
- At night a robot baby is used to mimic sleep patterns. Nathan Fielder hires a man to play these realistic noises via a computer, but he keeps falling asleep on the job.
- When he does manage to stay awake, Angela realizes that the night shifts are hard and takes Robin on a second date. Fielder babysits while she is out and has an adorable time with the baby. He even changes his first diaper.
- Angela asks Robin to participate in the project and he tries it out for the night. Fielder makes the baby cry over and over again, causing Robin to leave. This was probably a good thing though, because he was a little unhinged, obsessing over numbers and signs. He was also high on marijuana most of the time and still drove his car.
- Fielder talks about relocating the bar he constructed in episode one and moving his cats with him to Oregon. He contemplates life and decides to offer to be the father figure in the experiment. Angela agrees, on one condition, they need to communicate with one another better moving forward.
The Rehearsal season 1, episode 3 release date
The next episode is scheduled to premiere on HBO and HBO Max on Friday, July 29th, 2022 at 11pm ET/PT.
Where to watch online
Viewers worldwide can catch The Rehearsal season 1, episode 3 on HBO and HBO Max at the date mentioned above.
- I’m hoping this setup continues into the next episode and explores the rest of the simulation.
- Nathan Fielder is now playing the dad and will be more hands on in the process as Adam ages from a baby all the way to a teenager in two intense months.
- Angela will continue to struggle with the process, either taking it as a joke or becoming overwhelmed by the situation.
- Nathan Fielder will reflect on his own upbringing and try to be a good father.