This article is a preview for American Gigolo season 1, episode 2, and may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
David Hollander’s Showtime remake of Paul Schrader’s 1980 classic American Gigolo imagines a different version of the same story in which high-class male escort Julian Kaye was never given an alibi by his lover, Michelle, and instead spent 15 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit. Suddenly free after a contract killer confesses to the crime on his deathbed, Julian is dropped back into his old life and attempts both to reconnect with his lover and unravel the mystery of who framed him.
The premiere moved through multiple timelines to establish the essential elements of this new version. Here’s what happened, in summary:
American Gigolo pilot recap:
- Julian Kaye, a high-class male escort groomed since his early teens, went to prison for 15 years for the murder of one of his clients after being pushed by Detective Sunday to confess.
- In the present-day, Julian is exonerated by the confession of a contract killer who is dying of brain cancer. The killer later claims to have been hired by someone called “Keen”, which Julian interprets as the “Queen”, aka his old pimp, Olga.
- We learn through flashbacks that Julian was sexually abused by his trailer park neighbor and sold to Olga by his drug addict mother.
- Present-day Julian reconnects with his old friend and fellow former escort Lorenzo, though after learning that Olga might have set him up he wanders back into the orbit of Olga’s nakedly psychotic niece, Isabelle.
American Gigolo season 1, episode 2 release date
The latest episode, titled “Pretty Baby”, will debut on Showtime for subscribers on Friday, September 16, and the on the Showtime channel on Sunday, September 18.
Where to watch American Gigolo season 1, episode 2 online
As mentioned above, American Gigolo is a Showtime original and can be viewed on the channel or app, either live or on-demand.
Preview and predictions for “Pretty Baby”:
The official synopsis is as follows:
Julian’s attempts to break free and start a new life of honest means are sabotaged when his old madam delivers a cryptic message about a young girl’s suicide. Michelle circumvents her husband to find their runaway son.
- So it seems like Olga is going to be something of an ally to Julian while Isabelle is the real villain? How is that going to relate back to who set Julian up in the first place?
- One assumes that Julian was set up for being with Michelle, so expect more details in that regard.
- We can tell that the subplot regarding Michelle’s son is going to persist for a while, and I expect she’ll team up with Julian here which will allow both of them to reconnect while also putting them both in the firing line of Michelle’s husband.