This article is a preview for The Patient season 1, episode 7, “Kaddish”, and may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
The Patient is the latest FX series created for Hulu by the team behind the highly-regarded The Americans. It stars an extremely against-type Steve Carell as Dr. Alan Strauss, a therapist who is taken captive by one of his patients, Sam (Domnhall Gleeson), a serial killer who wants Alan’s help in curing him.
What follows is a taut chamber piece as Alan and Sam get to know one another under the most perilous of circumstances. Can Alan prevent Sam from killing again? Will Sam direct his ire towards Alan? These are the essential questions we’ll be tuning in for answers to over the next few weeks.
The Patient episode 6 recap
Desperate times called for desperate measures as, in The Patient episode 6, Alan tried to teach Sam a little about empathy — and hopefully finesse an escape. Here’s what happened, in summary:
- Horrified by Sam killing Elias, Alan began to disassociate and therapize himself in imagined conversations with his old mentor, the titular Charlie.
- Alan realized that he was running out of time and decided that trying to engender some empathy in Sam might allow him to manipulate the situation. He also realized that discussing Candace’s complicity might be key.
- Alan talked Sam into dumping Elias’s body where the police would find it, and when he got the chance, Alan scribbled out a note and hid it down Elias’s throat.
The Patient season 1, episode 7 release date/time
“Charlie” is slated for release on Tuesday, October 4, at 12am ET.
Where to watch The Patient online
Since The Patient is an FX production created exclusively for Hulu, it is only available on the platform and requires a subscription.
Preview and predictions for “Charlie”:
Here’s the official synopsis per IMDb:
Both Dr. Strauss and Sam try to make new connections in their pursuit of an elusive peace.
- Will the police find the note? And even if they do, will they be able to decipher it? It was a little vague.
- Alan will probably begin to approach the Candace issue in the next therapy session.
- Are we going to find out what Ezra’s big significance is, and potentially what some of Alan’s weirder flashbacks and nightmares are about?