This article is a preview for The Patient season 1, episode 9, “Auschwitz”, and may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
The Patient is the latest FX series created for Hulu by the team behind the highly-regarded The Americans. It stars an extremely against-type Steve Carell as Dr. Alan Strauss, a therapist who is taken captive by one of his patients, Sam (Domnhall Gleeson), a serial killer who wants Alan’s help in curing him.
What follows is a taut chamber piece as Alan and Sam get to know one another under the most perilous of circumstances. Can Alan prevent Sam from killing again? Will Sam direct his ire towards Alan? These are the essential questions we’ll be tuning in for answers to over the next few weeks.
The Patient episode 8 recap
Alan reached a profound realization about Ezra in The Patient episode 8, as Sam sought new ways to manage his worsening impulses. Here’s what happened:
- In his “sessions” with “Charlie”, Alan realized that Ezra’s obstinacy had been inherited from him and that he had, almost without realizing it, judged his religious choices and held him in contempt that Ezra must have felt.
- From the above, Alan realized he needed to say this to Ezra himself, lest he never have closure should something happen to Alan, so we see the therapist spending all episode sharpening the bottle of a tube of cream, trying to fashion it into a weapon.
- Ezra himself is deeply concerned about his father’s disappearance and is putting up missing posters all over the place.
- Sam kills his supervisor, Kyle, after accusing him of taking bribes to reinspect restaurants without following Lincoln County’s usual time frame. Having killed two people so close together he believes his urges are getting worse, and officially employs his old high school psychologist as his new therapist, which suddenly makes Alan surplus to requirements.
The Patient season 1, episode 9 release date/time
“Ezra” is slated for release on Tuesday, October 18, at 12am ET.
Where to watch The Patient online
Since The Patient is an FX production created exclusively for Hulu, it is only available on the platform and requires a subscription.
Preview and predictions for “Auschwitz”:
Here’s the official synopsis per IMDb:
Dr. Strauss leaves nothing unsaid. Sam gives it another shot with Mary. An idea sparks for Sam, and everything seems to click together.
- The title is a weird one, but given we’ve already seen Alan have finishes of himself in that famed place of misery and genocide, we will probably begin to unpack the root of that particular nightmare.
- It’s make or break for Alan. Evidence suggests that he’s planning to attack Sam, but will he try to find a way to make himself seem useful in the meantime?
- The synopsis above implies Sam will attempt to reconcile with Mary — will he slip up, and will she contribute to his downfall?
- Isn’t it time we heard from Candace again?