We discuss predictions for the Hulu series The Handmaid’s Tale season 5, episode 8, which includes the release date, time, and where to watch online.
The Handmaid’s Tale season 5, episode 7 focuses on the reunion of Serena and June, after Serena saved her rival’s life and betrayed her Gilead counterparts. The two women drive aimlessly away from this event and find themselves in the wilderness, with Serena showing all the signs of being in labour. These tense scenes are intercut with a flashback, where June and Serena witness a traumatic birth back in Gilead. It’s another stunning episode, with the two lead actors delivering outstanding performances as they battle with these unprecedented circumstances. Here’s what happened in episode seven of The Handmaid’s Tale:
- June drives Serena away from the scene of the crime. Serena points her gun at June, while June demands to know what is happening. Serena orders her to just keep driving, but is in agony herself. She accidentally fires her weapon and June decides to escape.
- Serena chases after June, but subsequently crashes the car into a ditch. June goes back to see if Serena is alright. She is clearly in the middle of labour and is about to give birth. June takes her to a barn nearby, with the car unmovable.
- A flashback centers on June and Serena’s visit to see a birth in Gilead. The handmaid is struggling though and starts to bleed heavily. The handmaids surround her and pray, but she passes out. The doctors operate and save the baby, but the handmaid dies.
- June tries to help Serena with the birth, but she doesn’t want to be touched. June goes back to the car to try and fix it, she tries everything, but it won’t budge. Eventually she gets it moving, by placing a car mat underneath, supported by a wooden post.
- June returns and helps Serena give birth to a beautiful baby boy. Serena names the baby Noah. Serena asks why June didn’t kill her when she had the chance. June replies, stating that she didn’t want to kill her. They discuss Noah’s future and why Serena won’t go to a hospital. (Spoilers)
- Serena admits that she has been kept hostage by the Wheelers, who treat her like a handmaid. She believes they will take her baby from her. June still pressures Serena to go to a hospital before she dies. They have no food, no water and it is perilously cold in the barn. Serena asks June to look after Noah for her, accepting that she has no other options. But June talks her round. (Spoilers)
- At the hospital, Serena and Noah are taken away. Later, Serena and the baby appear to be improving. The Canadian authorities arrive and arrest Serena though. She is to be detained and her baby taken away by Child Protection. She screams, asking for help from June. (Spoilers)
- Luke watches on, declaring this to be justice. June though, has now built a bond with Serena and sympathizes with the fellow mother. (Spoilers)
The Handmaid’s Tale season 5, episode 8 release date/time
The next episode is scheduled to release on Hulu on Wednesday, October 26th, 2022. The release time is 12 am ET. Episode 8 is titled “Motherland” and will have a run time of 54 minutes.
Where to watch online
Viewers worldwide can catch The Handmaid’s Tale season 5, episode 8, on Hulu on the date mentioned above.
- Luke and June will continue to brainstorm new ways to get into Gilead and retrieve their daughter before she is married off into the Gilead way of life.
- Serena has burned all her bridges with Gilead now, having freed June and shot one of her own. She will have no protection in the detention center and could be attacked or killed at any moment. Serena will seek out June’s help, but she is now on her own and without her child. (Spoilers)
- The Wheelers may seek custody of Noah, but I doubt the Canadian authorities will allow a Gilead member to take this baby. (Spoilers)
- June has built a strong bond with Serena and owes her life to her enemy, but somehow I can’t imagine that she will put Serena’s dilemmas ahead of her own issues. June wants Hannah back, Serena will always be an afterthought in this regard. (Spoilers)
You can watch this series with a subscription to Hulu.