Will there be a Season 2 of The Serpent Queen on Starz?

October 30, 2022
Jonathon Wilson 13
News, Premium Channels, Renewed or Cancelled, Starz
Loading JustWatch data...

This article discusses the possibility of The Serpent Queen Season 2 and whether The Serpent Queen has been renewed or canceled. It contains some spoilers for the first season.

The Serpent Queen is the latest period drama on Starz, this one about the infamous Catherine De Medici, a monarch with a not entirely favorable reception. The show, however, has enjoyed quite the opposite. Since the first season is due to end on October 30, 2022, fans are understandably beginning to speculate about the show’s potential future, so here’s everything we know.

Will there be a Season 2 of The Serpent Queen?

Status: Renewed

Update: Starz have officially renewed The Serpent Queen for a second season. There is still no word on a potential release date, but the second season will have eight episodes like the first.

At the time of writing, Starz hasn’t officially renewed or canceled The Serpent Queen. However, the network has a pretty good track record when it comes to renewing its period dramas. The Spanish Princess and Black Sails got multiple seasons, for instance, but it’s worth noting that Becoming Elizabeth did not. However, The Serpent Queen is enjoying much more favorable ratings than that latter show.

Despite being based on the life of a real figure, a fair degree of artistic license has been taken in the first season thus far, with explicit allusions to supernaturalism. It also, while chronicling a large sweep of Catherine De Medici’s early life, doesn’t exactly tell the complete story. If the network determines there is more to tell, this combined with the decent (and sustained) ratings could well work in the show’s favor.

We predict that The Serpent Queen will be renewed for Season 2.

What is The Serpent Queen about?

Here’s the official synopsis:

The series follows the story of Catherine de’ Medici, who marries into the French Valois court as a fourteen-year-old teenager expected to bring in a fortune in dowry and produce heirs. Despite many challenges, a lifetime of clever political maneuvering allows her to rule France as queen for 30 years.

What could The Serpent Queen Season 2 be about?

Unless the finale resolves all of the ongoing storylines, the second season could be much like the first, with Catherine recounting her story to Rahima while grooming the young maid as an important ally. If her conflict with Mary remains unresolved, this could form the basis for the second season, which wouldn’t have to spend so much time recounting Catherine’s early life.

Do you think that The Serpent Queen will be renewed or canceled? Let us know in the comments.

13 thoughts on “Will there be a Season 2 of The Serpent Queen on Starz?

• October 24, 2022 at 2:04 am

I absolutely love The Serpent Queen!! I think it depicts a huge part of history and even though a lot is just based on history, I still love the show. I really hope there is a season two!!

• October 24, 2022 at 2:12 am

I’m enjoying the serpent Queen very much I find this show to be very interesting and entertaining. I can only hope that they renew the serpent Queen.

• October 24, 2022 at 2:51 am

OMG I love the serpent queen…I hope it doesn’t cancel. I’m waiting to see Mary behead as queen Elizabeth I will do if this follows the real to life story….

• October 24, 2022 at 12:50 pm

It’s Riveting TV watching, the protagonist is portrayed with astonishing deftness by Samantha Morton, the supporting characters are extremely well played to jointly deliver a beautifully filmed commendable production, I for one would be very disappointed if the show is cancelled.
    Felipe Marrero, NY, NY

• October 24, 2022 at 6:02 pm

I love the Serpent Queen I am enjoying the history of how she came onto the throne please ? ?? please renew for 2nd season!

• October 26, 2022 at 2:20 am

I am really enjoying The serpent queen. The story line is fantastic! I absolutely love how it’s actual history with artistic license throughout. Please renew this series!

• October 26, 2022 at 8:17 pm

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE watching the Serpent Queen so much that I bought 2 biographies about Catherine de Medici! I really hope that the series continues! The cast is amazing!

• October 27, 2022 at 2:41 am

Recount of historic nature are always fascinating to me especially when enhance creatively. It is also cinematic and transportive.the drama is well balanced with moments of humor which is undeniable. Only with there was more accent of French vs English.

• October 30, 2022 at 5:13 am

love this show

• October 31, 2022 at 3:16 am

I adore the serpent Queen!! Can’t wait until season 2!!

• November 2, 2022 at 9:40 pm

The Tudor court has been played to death through films and tv series, while their French contemporaries have been overlooked. This series was excellent. Perhaps with this new interest in French history, other than the Louis Kings, we’ll get more entertaining and historical glimpses of the past.

• November 6, 2022 at 2:41 am

I would like a second season to see how she extends her reign.

• November 10, 2022 at 1:02 am

Super fun entertainment, I can never wait until the next episode