This article is a preview for The Walking Dead season 11, episode 24, “Rest in Peace”, and contains details of the release date, time, and where to watch online. It may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
The final ever episodes of The Walking Dead are well underway now, but I suppose that depends on how you interpret the word “final”. For a series that has never really treated death with any permanence, it only seems fitting that these characters and stories will continue to live on in spin-offs, as they have already in Fear the Walking Dead, The Walking Dead: World Beyond, and Tales of The Walking Dead.
We’ve already had confirmation that there will be a Daryl and Carol spin-off, although recently it seems as though it might just be a Daryl spin-off, and at this year’s New York Comic Con we got our first look at the upcoming The Walking Dead: Dead City, which will feature Maggie and Negan and is slated for release in April 2023. With all that, it’s hard to consider the upcoming end… well, the end.
The Walking Dead season 11, episode 23 raised the stakes for the finale with a couple of big developments, bringing all the action back to the Commonwealth. Here’s what happened:
- Mercer freed and hid Eugene, then tried not to raise any suspicions around Pamela which was ultimately a failure on two fronts. Eugene had to flee (and suddenly became a badass?), and Mercer got himself arrested.
- Judith talked Daryl into letting her accompany the gang on the Commonwealth rescue mission, which turned out to be a bad idea since she ended up getting shot by Pamela when everyone walked into an ambush.
- Lydia got bitten and had to have her arm amputated.
- The herd of walkers including many of the new variants managed to breach the wall of the Commonwealth thanks to Pamela’s arrogance. She ordered them funneled into the lower wards where the civilians live, trapping our gang there with them.
The Walking Dead season 11, episode 24 release date
The final ever episode of The Walking Dead will air on Sunday, November 20, 2022, simultaneously on AMC and AMC+.
Where to watch online
Since The Walking Dead is such a popular and longstanding show, there are many different ways to check out the latest episode. The most efficient for die-hard fans is, obviously, an AMC+ subscription, which allows you to view the episode a week before everyone else. Using AMC’s app or website, the episode can be live-streamed at the date and time above when it officially airs, and anyone else can access the episode via a litany of live TV streaming platforms such as Spectrum, Sling TV, DirecTV, Fubo TV, Philo TV, Xfinity, Apple TV, and YouTube TV.
Preview for “Rest in Peace”:
Here’s the “official” synopsis I’ve plucked from IMDb:
The walkers carve their bloody path across the Commonwealth. They overrun the people mercilessly and cut a deadly swath through the city. Meanwhile, Mercer is stuck in prison until Max and Princess free him. Together with Ezekiel, Maggie and the others, he now has to fight not only against Pamela and her followers, but also against the army of the walkers.
Based on the synopsis and the promo here are some predictions:
- Judith almost certainly won’t die, but I imagine at least one person will die saving her. It’d make thematic sense if that was Daryl, but he has spin-off duties to attend to, so probably not.
- Seems like Rosita gets Coco back.
- I’m really holding out hope for Mercer to do some cool s**t once he’s released from prison. That guy has so much ownage potential and they never let him do anything.
- Pamela will definitely die. But who else? Maggie, Negan, Daryl, and Carol seem safe because of the spin-offs. I don’t think we’re going to start killing kids off so Judith and Coco are likely safe. That leaves who? Ezekiel, Jerry, Aaron… maybe Eugene?
You can stream The Walking Dead season 11, episode 24 on both AMC and AMC+ on November 20, 2022.