This article is a preview for His Dark Materials season 3, episodes 5 & 6 and contains the release date, time, and where to watch online, as well as spoilers for previous episodes.
After a long wait, the much-anticipated final season of His Dark Materials is upon us. The final batch of episodes adapts Philip Pullman‘s third book in the trilogy, The Amber Spyglass, and will see Lyra and Will become embroiled in Lord Asriel’s war against the Authority.
Here’s what happened in His Dark Materials season 3, episodes 3 & 4:
- Asriel took the votes of his other companions to allow Mrs Coulter to become part of his wartime council, but she took the first opportunity — when he was torturing an angel to death to send a message to Metatron — to steal in Intention Craft and return to the Magisterium.
- Coulter was intending to take down the Magisterium from within, but at the end of the episode was arrested. Macphail plans to use her intercision to detonate a bomb that will kill Lyra.
- Iorek fixed the Subtle Knife so that Lyra and Will could travel to the Land of the Dead.
- In the waiting room, Lyra met and conversed with her own Death, a companion who has been silently and invisibly with her throughout her life.
- Eventually, Lyra was forced to leave Pan behind to travel to the other side and retrieve Roger, causing both of them immense physical pain.
His Dark Materials season 3, episodes 5 & 6 release date
The next two episodes of His Dark Materials season 3 will air on Monday, December 19, at 9 pm ET/PT.
Where to watch His Dark Materials season 3 online
In the U.S., His Dark Materials will air on HBO at the date and time mentioned above. For those who have cut the cord, the show will also be available to stream on HBO Max.
In the UK, Season 3 will debut on Sunday, December 18, at 7 pm GMT on BBC One. Episodes will be available on BBC iPlayer but will remain a couple of weeks behind the U.S.
How many episodes will His Dark Materials season 3 have?
The third and final season will have eight episodes. Two episodes will air each week from December 5 to December 26. Each episode will run for about an hour but there’s a good chance the finale will be slightly longer.
Who are the new cast and who are they playing?
The third season will include some interesting new additions to the usual ensemble, including:
- Amber Fitzgerald-Woolfe as Ama
- Kobna Holdbrook-Smith and Simon Harrison as Balthamos and Baruch
- Chipo Chung as Xaphania
- Jamie Ward as Father Gomez
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Commander Ogunwe
- Jonathan Aris as Commander Roke
- Wade Briggs as Archangel Alarbus
- Sian Clifford as Agent Salmakia
- Victoria Hamilton as Stelmaria
Predictions for the next episode
- Pan isn’t dead — both he and Lyra will survive and be reunited.
- Will’s daemon will manifest physically during the trip.
- Lyra and Will will find Roger and help free the dead. When they escape, both will be reunited with their daemons.
Check out our Where to Watch Shows and Movies Online Discovery Tool