Before we talk about season 1, episode 4, let’s discuss how episode 3 of Lupin Zero gave fans a special treat, as we saw three generations of Lupins appear in one story together. Granted, it was far from the sentimental reunion most families would expect, but that only made things that much more enjoyable. The episode really solidified itself as a must-watch prequel, with glimpses into Lupin’s formative years explaining so many of the traits that viewers of the original series will remember. Although we missed Jigen (voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi) this time around, episode three was still fun in its own right.
- The episode opened with Yoko and Lupin grabbing drinks before two giant henchmen appeared to summon him. Lupin goes only because he knows the men were sent to retrieve him by his grandfather.
- Lupin arrives at his grandfather’s mansion, although he does not seem happy to be there. He demands to know why he was summoned, and his grandfather reveals he wants Lupin to participate in a game to win his inheritance along with three other contestants.
- Lupin, Marion, Phaloon, and the Blonde Genius are sent out to the family training ground, where they must compete to be the first through a locked door. Whoever wins will be able to claim the prize.
- Lupin manages to make his way inside the compound on site, but a number of dangerous traps almost kills him.
- As he watches from his mansion, Lupin’s grandfather reveals he is sick as he prepares for surgery.
- Lupin meets up with Phaloon, who surprisingly saves his life. He admits to her that he is only here because of issues he has with his family and not because of the inheritance.
- Before entering the last room, each contestant is secretly given one of 4 items: bandages, a gun, a knife, or the key to the door. Since none of them know who has what item, they soon realize they will likely have to kill the others to obtain the key for themselves.
- As Lupin figures out who has the gun, Marion shoots the Blonde Genius. He then traps Lupin, threatening to shoot Phaloon when she tries to help him. Marion steals the key from Lupin’s pocket, revealing he knew Lupin had given himself away earlier, trying to figure out who had the gun.
- Marion runs to unlock the door, but the key does not work. Lupin reveals the key is not for the door, but his family garage, before Marion is suddenly stabbed through the door by deadly spikes.
- Lupin reveals the Blonde Genius had the key as he slowly wakes up to reveal his own bulletproof vest. Paramedics appear for Marion. When Phaloon mentions the gun was loaded with wax bullets, Lupin realizes his grandfather tricked them all. He was never looking for a successor. He was trying to secure a new, healthy heart from one of the contestants.
- Lupin is annoyed but never trusted his grandfather in the first place. As he walks home, he finds the real Phaloon tied to a tree, and viewers see the Phaloon who helped him earlier was actually his father in disguise the whole time.
Lupin Zero season 1, episode 4 release date
Episode 4 is scheduled to release on HiDive on Friday, December 30th, 2022. Episode 4 is titled “Claim the Whiskey Pipe” and will have a run time of approximately 25 minutes.
Where to watch online
Viewers worldwide can catch Lupin Zero season 1, episode 4, with a subscription to HiDive on the date mentioned above.
I was hit or miss on the predictions last week. While we expected Lupin’s family to appear, I could’ve never guessed what crazy antics they would get up to. Arsene Lupin I is definitely an unpredictable character. However, next week seems to focus more on the dynamic duo of Lupin and Jigen again. It will be interesting to see what sort of trouble they land themselves in.
- In the preview, Lupin plans to build a secret base under his school. Usually, I would say this wouldn’t go well, but given that it’s Lupin, I predict that it will actually turn out to be relatively successful.
- Jigen and Lupin seem to be going through something in the episode, as there appears to be tension between them. Lupin’s wealth and Jigen’s dad both seem to be touchy subjects for him. Seeing as he just returned from a trip with his father, I could see his animosity being misdirected towards Lupin, causing them to fall out or worse, get someone hurt.