We discuss predictions for the Paramount+ series 1923 season 1 episode 3 and include the release date and where to watch online.
Taylor Sheridan‘s latest branching off onto the Paramount+ money tree is an exciting setup for another promising new series. This time he has the star power equal to his storytelling abilities. However, 1923 has a sweeping feel. A large part of that has to do with the breakout performance of Brandon Sklenar. The Sheridan universe is expanding its horizons with the addition of a new romance and taking the Dutton sensibilities across Africa.
Here’s what happened in 1923 season 1 episode 2:
- The episode opens with Spencer Dutton (Skenlar) surviving the leopard attack, but his friend and guide, Kagiso, is killed. Spencer blames the man who hired him for the death because he was never told the animal attacks were being made in a pair.
- When Spencer recovers from his wounds, he meets a beautiful English woman named Alexandra, played by Julia Schlaepfer (The Sky is Everywhere). She is a romantic and feels trapped being treated like a piece of real estate. While Alexandra is engaged to a “kind” man she does not love, she feels an immediate connection to Spencer. The cheeky young woman leaves her fiance to “face death in the eye” with the celebrity hunter as they go to track a hyena in Tanganyika.
- It turns out that Banner and his shepherds do not kill Jack in the 1923 premiere. They shoot his horse, and Jacob has them strung up to a tree and tests the loyalty of their horses. Four of the men are killed, but Banner survives. Jacob wanted one to live to spread the story so no one dared to encroach on the Dutton family land again.
- Teonna is put in a hotbox for daring to speak her native language. It turns out her grandmother is looking for her. She wants to pull her from the Christian-run “Indian school” where she was kidnapped and placed.
- It is important to note the name “Rainwater” is never said in the conversation with the superintendent. However, the card she shows for an appointment does say “Rainwater” in messy handwriting, so this is the assumption I am making.
- Emma Dutton worries about the fire in her son Jack and hopes his bride-to-be, Elizabeth, can take that out of the new generation. However, she doubts her soon-to-be daughter-in-law from the big city of Boston and has never been part of the “herd” mentality.
1923 season 1 episode 3 release date/time
Episode 3 is scheduled to release on Paramount+ on Sunday, January 1st, 2023, at 3:00 a.m. ET. The title and runtime of Episode 3 are unknown at the time of this article’s publication.
Where to watch online
As mentioned, 1923 can be watched exclusively on Paramount+ with a subscription. The streaming platform has plans as low as $4.99 a month. New streaming customers can get a 7-day free trial or a Walmart+ subscription plan.
Let’s explore what may happen next week!
- How will Banner get revenge on Jacob? He survives the hanging attempt on his life. Will he spread the word of the attack, put his tail between his legs, and run? No, definitely not. Where is the fun in that? There was talk before, but things have taken a real turn. Look for Banner to make an attempt on Jacob’s life in a few episodes. Could there be an attack during Jack and Elizabeth’s wedding?
- It seems that things keep getting further and further away from Spencer returning home to the Dutton kingdom. With the new romance of Alexandra, it looks like an entire season in the “Mother Continent” and no end for a return to Big Sky in sight. He returns, but that pivotal moment may not come until the season finale.
- What will happen with Teonna? It’s been only two episodes in, and she has been assaulted, physically and sexually, multiple times, and tortured. She will be tested, but I don’t think she has come close to her breaking point yet. At some point, Sister Mary and Father Renaud will have to pay for their sins, but when and how? Sheridan’s writing is so honest and nuanced that they may never, frankly. But look for Teonna to rejoin her grandmother in the next upcoming episodes and heartbreakingly have to leave her classmates behind.
- Will Spencer and Alexandra’s romance survive? Well, I don’t see it ending with death by hyena, but since the IMDb credits refuse to give Spencer’s love interest the last name just yet, I wouldn’t bet the house on our little English rose taking the Dutton last name anytime soon.
You can watch this series with a subscription to Paramount+.