We discuss predictions for the Crunchyroll anime series Bungo Stray Dogs Season 4 Episode 2 and include the release date and where to watch online.
With a delightful premiere, Bungo Stray Dogs reminds us why it is consistently one of the most entertaining animes to watch. At times it can be a lot to follow, but it’s never dull or boring. The first episode of season 4 proved that, with a flashback into Yukichi (Rikiya Koyama) and Ranpo’s (Hiroshi Kamiya) pasts, showing viewers how the Armed Detective Agency came to be founded in the first place.
- The episode opens to reveal Yukichi, long before he ever started the Armed Detective Agency. A mysterious man calls to try and recruit him to work for the Military Police, but he refuses.
- Yukichi heads to work at a crime scene where the president of a company has been pushed out of a window. The president’s secretary is there organizing papers in an attempt to figure out the assassins’ motive. The assassin in question, Oda, is being held in the room next door after being apprehended by police.
- Yukichi asks to speak with Oda, and just then, a young man pops up in the doorway. It is the genius detective Ranpo, but here he is, only 14 years old.
- Ranpo is there looking to pick up a work permit, but when the secretary refuses to help him, he decides to find it himself. Knowing his permit is on heavier paper than the secretary is organizing, he opens the window. All the documents go flying, except his permit, which remains on the ground.
- The secretary scolds Ranpo, saying it will take longer for him to find what papers are missing now. Ranpo doesn’t see why it would when clearly none of the documents are missing. Ranpo slowly begins to reveal that it was not the assassin who killed the president, but the secretary, who is now trying to cover it up and frame Oda.
- Oda breaks free, fighting with Yukichi, before slipping away and shooting the secretary twice.
- Yukichi takes Ranpo out to lunch to pick his brain about the case. Ranpo reveals he knew immediately that the secretary was guilty.
- After learning Ranpo has been kicked out of school and has no parents, he offers him his business card if he ever needs help. Ranpo calls him immediately from the restaurant, prompting Yukichi to bring Ranpo on his next mission.
- Yukichi takes Ranpo to a theater, where a threatening note has the actors scared and quitting. Ranpo and Yukichi interview several actors who think the main actor is likely the most in danger.
- Ranpo later comments that the theater will likely go under after this, but Yukichi says he will not allow that to happen because of a threat. Ranpo corrects him, saying the note was not a threat but more of a warning or declaration.
- Yukichi quickly begins to see that Ranpo does not realize the extent of his abilities to perceive things. He asks Ranpo to read him at first glance. At first, Ranpo offers up things like Yukichi’s dominant hand and marital status, but he soon begins to reveal more intimate facts about the man’s past, prompting him to yell at Ranpo so loudly it sends the boy flying backward.
- After making sure he’s okay, Yukichi requests his help on this job and promises to get him more jobs if they succeed. He then chastises himself for taking on Ranpo despite having already planned to work alone.
Bungo Stray Dogs Season 4 Episode 2 Release Date and Time
Season 4 Episode 2 is scheduled to release on Crunchyroll on Wednesday, January 11th, 2023. The release time is 10:30 a.m. ET. Episode 2 is titled “The Day is a Dream, the Night is Real” and will have a run time of approximately 23 minutes.
Where to watch online
Viewers worldwide can catch Bungo Stray Dogs Season 4 Episode 2 with a subscription to Crunchyroll on the date mentioned above.
Making predictions for any anime can be tricky, but it almost feels impossible with a series as wildly unpredictable as Bungo Stray Dogs. However, this opening episode gave us at least a few hints, as we know part of the season will likely follow The Untold Origins of the Detective Agency light novel, where we see Yukichi found his infamous detective agency. Between this and the season 4 trailer, we can definitely make some guesses as to what will happen next.
- Whether or not the series will continue with another flashback episode remains to be seen; if it does, it will surely continue the theater mystery Ranpo and Yukichi have started. I suspect that the lead actor, Murakami Tokio, has more to do with the threatening note than he leads on.
- The trailer hints at a huge mission that could likely destroy the Armed Detective Agency. It’s likely that Fyodor is not done trying to ruin both the agency and the Port Mafia. I predict we could see that he is still pulling the strings from somewhere.