We discuss predictions for the Crunchyroll anime series Tomo-Chan Is a Girl! Season 1 Episode 2, and include the release date and where to watch online.
With the first episode in the bag, Tomo-Chan Is a Girl! has set the foundation for what is sure to be a fun romantic comedy this season. Episode 1 introduces us to Tomo (Rie Takahashi), a girl who has a crush on her longtime best friend, Jun (Kaito Ishikawa). The unrequited love plot is not only retable but also hilarious, reminding fans of their own high school crushes. The series doesn’t seem to take itself too seriously, moving quickly and making plenty of jokes along the way. It’ll be interesting to see if this anime turns out to be a series of gags or if it really leans into the romance plot and where that will lead.
- The episode opens with the protagonist Tomo, confessing her feelings to her childhood friend and crush, Jun. Although she means it romantically, he mistakes it for a friendly confession, joking and telling Tomo he loves her as well.
- Tomo reveals that until middle school, Jun hadn’t even realized she was actually a girl at all, but she hopes to be seen by him in that way.
- Tomo tries to convince her friend Misuzu to speak to Jun on her behalf, but she refuses. She suggests Tomo try softening her tone, but when she does, Jun laughs at her, and the two get into a fight.
- The next day Jun repeatedly apologizes and tells Tomo things aren’t the same when she’s not talking to him. This makes her blush, and she ends up forgiving him.
- Misuzu wonders why Jun and Tomo never eat lunch together and takes it upon herself to arrange it. Even though Jun and Misuzu don’t get along, he agrees.
- Misuzu later overhears Jun’s friend Tanabe asking him about hooking up with Tomo. He misunderstands and insinuates that they’ve been hooking up for a while. Misuzu tells Tomo, who gets mad at Jun. She then sets the records straight with Tanabe.
- After school, it’s raining. Jun and Misuzu seem to have forgotten their umbrellas and are waiting for Tomo. They begin wondering when they stopped being friends, revealing all three of them used to hang out together as children. Misuzu starts teasing Jun, harassing him about how he would feel if Tomo got a boyfriend. Jun gets upset and pushes her into the rain.
- When Tomo comes with her umbrella, Misuzu encourages her to walk home with Jun. She reluctantly does but is too nervous to stand close to him, especially after karate club. He assures her it’s fine, even saying she smells good, which flusters Tomo, causing her to run away. When he catches up to her, Tomo is soaking wet, making her shirt more revealing. This time Jun runs away flustered.
- Jun accidentally knocks out Misaki, the karate club captain, during sparing and apologizes. She confesses she does not feel girly, but he assures her she is fine the way she is. Later two girls, Mifune and Ogawa, see the two of them talking together.
- After Misuzu reveals Tomo has made a new male friend, Jun asks her about him and mistakes Misaki for a girl because of his appearance.
- Mifune and Ogawa confront Tomo, but she takes it as them wanting to fight and threatens them both, scaring them. After meeting up, they realize it was a misunderstanding. They wanted to ask Tomo questions about Misaki since they have a crush on him. Tomo is more than happy to help.
Tomo-Chan Is a Girl! Season 1 Episode 2 Release Date and Time
Episode 2 is scheduled to release on Crunchyroll on Wednesday, January 11th, 2023. The release time is 1:00 p.m. ET. The title of episode 2 is unknown at this time, but it will have a run time of approximately 23 minutes.
Where to watch online
Viewers worldwide can catch Tomo-Chan Is a Girl! Season 1 Episode 2 with a subscription to Crunchyroll on the date mentioned above.
In the game of love, anything is possible, which makes it so unpredictable. Having just met Tomo and her friends makes guessing their next moves even harder, but from what we’ve seen in the anime so far, we should be able to make a few good guesses as to where things are going.
- Tanabe and Misuzu had several interactions in this episode. As the only friend of Jun’s we’ve seen so far, I see him becoming a more significant character. I specifically see him developing a crush on Misuzu that will likely bring him into the inner circle.
- Tomo agreed to help Mifune and Ogawa get to know Misaki. She asked them to be her friends, so I could see them starting to hang around more. They still seem to be a bit afraid of her, which is a running joke I could see being introduced.
- There were hints of Jun feeling protective over Tomo, maybe even hints that he might like her. I don’t think he’s realized any feelings yet, but I definitely see him becoming more jealous and aware of potential feelings now that Misaki is in the picture. I imagine Jun will probably realize he’s a boy next week and begin to see him as competition, even if he doesn’t understand why.