Is there going to be a Season 2 of That ’90s Show? We discuss the popular Netflix series and its renewed and cancelled status.
That ’90s Show is a Netflix sequel comedy show of the That ’70s Show and is directed by Gail Mancuso. It’s written by creators Gregg Mettler, Bonnie Turner, Lindsey Turner, and Terry Turner. It follows Leia Forman as she is dropped off to spend the summer at her grandparents’ house in Point Place Wisconsin, the location where That ’70s Show takes place, where she meets new friends and embarks on her own adventure.
Reviews of the show are quite positive, with Ready Steady Cut saying Netflix has delivered an easy pick-me-up series, The Guardian says it is like revisiting a childhood classic, and IGN says the show is a blast from the past but doesn’t allow its new characters to fully develop. CNN was less positive, however, saying that while the show is high on nostalgia, it’s only half-baked.
How many seasons of That ’90s Show will there be?
So far, there is only 1 season of That ’90s Show that was released in January 2023. Its predecessor, That ’70s Show, ran for eight seasons from August 1998 until May 2006. The show’s timeline started in 1976 and ended in 1979.
Netflix hasn’t confirmed how many seasons That ’90s Show will run, but it’s possible that much more is to come. That ’90s Show is set during the summer of 1995, and because there are still four more years before the turn of the century. Netflix might do more seasons to explore them.
That ‘90s Show Cast
That ’90s Show has a long list of cast members, so here is a quick rundown of them:
- Callie Haverda as Leia Forman, who is the star of the show and a teenager craving adventure. Callie has also appeared in the 2020 film, The Lost Husband.
- Kurtwood Smith as Red Forman, Leia’s grandfather. Kurtwood has also appeared in the 1987 film RoboCop.
- Debra Jo Rupp as Kitty Forman, Leia’s grandmother. Debra has also appeared in the TV show Friends.
- Mace Coronel as Jay Kelso, Leia’s love interest. Mace has also appeared in the 2019 film Pocket.
- Ashley Aufderheide as Gwen Runck, Nate’s sister. Ashley has also appeared in the 2020 film Four Kids and It.
- Sam Morelos as Nikki, Nate’s intelligent girlfriend. Sam has also appeared in the 2022 short film Forgetting Nobody.
- Reyn Doi as Ozzie, an openly gay and perceptive teen. He has also appeared in the TV show S.W.A.T.
- Maxwell Acee Donovan as Nate Runck, Gwen’s brother. Maxwell has also appeared in the 2016 film Good Kids.
Topher Grace and Laura Prepon also make a brief return to their roles as Eric and Donna Forman. Eric is the son of Red, and Leia is his daughter. Topher Grace has also appeared in the 2007 film Spider-Man 3, and Laura has appeared in Orange is the New Black.
Is there going to be Season 2 of That ‘90s Show?
At the time of writing, there has been no announcement from Netflix about future seasons of That ’90s Show.
Netflix likes to wait and gauge internal data such as viewing statistics, how many people watch it initially, and seeing how big the drop-off rate is before renewing a series. For some shows, this process can happen incredibly quickly; for others, it can take longer.
Netflix also factors in external data, such as audience and critic reactions. At the moment, the show is sitting on a 72% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes and a 76% audience score. Both these scores are good, meaning that the series qualifies as ‘Fresh’ under the scoring system at Rotten Tomatoes.
Season 1 only took four months to shoot, so if season 2 were to be announced, then audiences might be able to expect the series to return later in the year.