This article is a preview for The Winter King Season 1 Episode 2 and contains details about the release date, time, and where to watch online. It may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
Adapted from Bernard Cornwell‘s The Warlord Chronicles for MGM+, The Winter King might be the latest prestige fantasy series to really capture mainstream interest. All the requisite elements are there, from history and fantasy to bastard heroes and Saxon swordsmen, and Cornwell’s trilogy of novels — The Winter King is the first; Enemy of God and Excalibur are the second and third — provides a strong narrative backbone for subsequent seasons.
Here’s how things got started in The Winter King Season 1 Episode 1:
- The show started with Arthur, the illegitimate son of King Uther Pendragon, being banished after the death of his brother Mordred, killed during a Saxon skirmish.
- After leaving the castle, Arthur rescued a Saxon slave boy named Durfel and took him to Avalon to be raised by Merlin.
- Eight years passed off-screen. Durfel has grown up and is romantically involved with the priestess Nimue, but she has to choose Godliness over him in order to remain a virgin and become a powerful magician in the future.
- When Merlin and Nimue visit Uther’s court, Durfel remains behind to be secretly trained as a warrior by Arthur’s friend Owain.
- Uther has produced a new heir, whom he also names Mordred. However, Merlin senses great evil in him and predicts he will turn on his own people at the behest of the Saxons.
- Merlin seeks out Arthur in Gaul to convince him to return home.
- Gundleus, the King of rival kingdom Siluria, pledges allegiance to Uther. Durfel recognises a tattoo on his chest that proves he killed Durfel’s mother.
The Winter King Season 1 Episode 2 Release Date/Time
The latest episode of The Winter King is slated for release on MGM+ on Sunday 27th August, at 9 pm (ET) / 12 am (PT).
Where to watch The Winter King online
As stated above, The Winter King is exclusive to MGM+ in the U.S. and the service is available with a subscription.
In the U.K., The Winter King will air live on ITV1 and stream on ITVX, however, the release date is not yet announced. Expect it closer to the end of the year.
How many episodes will The Winter King Season 1 have?
The first season of The Winter King will have ten episodes, airing weekly, with each being roughly an hour in length. You can find the full release schedule below, though this is subject to change:
- Episode 1, August 20
- Episode 2, August 27
- Episode 3, September 3
- Episode 4, September 10
- Episode 5, September 17
- Episode 6, September 24
- Episode 7, October 1
- Episode 8, October 8
- Episode 9, October 15
- Episode 10, October 22