This article is a preview for The Winter King Season 1 Episode 4 and contains details about the release date, time, and where to watch online. It may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
Adapted from Bernard Cornwell‘s The Warlord Chronicles for MGM+, The Winter King might be the latest prestige fantasy series to really capture mainstream interest. All the requisite elements are there, from history and fantasy to bastard heroes and Saxon swordsmen, and Cornwell’s trilogy of novels — The Winter King is the first; Enemy of God and Excalibur are the second and third — provides a strong narrative backbone for subsequent seasons.
Here’s how things got started in The Winter King Season 1 Episode 3:
- Following the massacre at Avalon in Episode 2, Arthur is able to apprehend Gungleus. However, he decides not to kill him despite everyone else — especially Nimue — wanting to, believing he can be useful as a political asset.
- With the Saxons invading and Gungleus and King Gorfydd’s kingdoms raiding neighboring territories, the political situation is a little shaky. Since Owain and Bishop Bedwin were also appointed Mordred’s protectors by Uther and didn’t break their oath, Owain is technically the acting king of Dumnonia.
- A vengeful Nimue makes a blood pact with Derfel and tries to enlist him to drug Arthur so he can steal the keys to Gungleus’s cell. Arthur figures out something is up, though, and since Derfel hero-worships him, he backs off. Nimue swears vengeance on Gungleus one way or the other and promises Arthur he will feel the same pain as her for denying her revenge.
- Arthur frees Gungleus so that he can invite his uncle to Mordred’s naming ceremony in the interest of peace talks, though he doesn’t ask anyone’s permission before doing so.
The Winter King Season 1 Episode 4 Release Date/Time
The latest episode of The Winter King is slated for release on MGM+ on Sunday 24th September, at 9 pm (ET) / 12 am (PT).
Where to watch The Winter King online
As stated above, The Winter King is exclusive to MGM+ in the U.S. and the service is available with a subscription.
In the U.K., The Winter King will air live on ITV1 and stream on ITVX, however, the release date is not yet announced. Expect it closer to the end of the year.
How many episodes will The Winter King Season 1 have?
The first season of The Winter King will have ten episodes, airing weekly, with each being roughly an hour in length. You can find the full release schedule below, though this is subject to change:
- Episode 1 – August 20th at 9 pm ET/PT
- Episode 2 – August 27th at 9 pm ET/PT
- Episode 3 – September 10th at 9 pm ET/PT
- Episode 4 – September 24th at 9 pm ET/PT
- Episode 5 – October 1st at 9 pm ET/PT
- Episode 6 – October 8th at 9 pm ET/PT
- Episode 7 – October 15th at 10 pm ET/PT
- Episode 8 – October 22nd at 10 pm ET/PT
- Episode 9 – October 29th at 10 pm ET/PT
- Episode 10 – November 5th at 10 pm ET/PT