Nevertheless season 1, episode 10 recap – the finale/ending explained

August 21, 2021
Bashirat Oladele 12
Ending Explained, K-Drama, Netflix, Weekly TV

Summary

The ending was frustrating but expected!

Summary

The ending was frustrating but expected!

This recap of the Netflix K-Drama series Nevertheless season 1, episode 10, “Nevertheless, I Still” — the finale/ending explained —  contains spoilers.

Read the recap of the previous episode.

As much as the ending frustrated me, it’s a very realistic portrayal (hence why I give it 4 stars) of how women settle for less. Breaking news — Nabi took Jaeeon back! The same Jaeeon that hurt her, made her cry, and much much more. I tuned out of this drama a while ago and only focused on the side characters because I knew how it was going to end. Furthermore, judging by the poster of the drama, it was very obvious as to how it was going to end! Korean dramas love a ‘happy ending’, as long as the main leads get together.

Nevertheless season 1, episode 10 recap – the finale

Nevertheless episode 10 picks up where it ends with Jaeeon crying in the rain and Nabi crying in her room. Instead, we finally hear Jaeeon’s thoughts, rather than Nabi’s. “I think I know now that I’m the one who ruined everything.” Exactly! But the fault doesn’t lie with just him but Nabi too. I personally found them incompatible from the synopsis of the drama because it was predictable, hence why I stopped getting my hopes up over this drama.

Whenever they are at university, Nabi ignores him. I loved that because it highlights that she is finally asserting herself and not letting him take her for a fool. But once her sculpture breaks, guess who comes to the rescue? It’s lovely to see that he was there to help but we all know why. Moreover, it’s the tiring trope of a man constantly having to save a woman in distress. Boring and overdone.

Finally, we meet Dohyeok again who always has a camera on standby! As he is recording for his Youtube channel, two girls come up to him and praise him for his success on his channel. This scene was cute because I feel like he needed that recognition, rather than always clinging onto Nabi.

Remember in the beginning of the drama where Nabi’s ex made a degrading statue of her and presented it in the art exhibition? It turns out that Jaeeon was at the exhibition that same night — which isn’t surprising because Korean dramas always do this. He then went onto realize he saw Nabi again at the bar, but he doesn’t believe in fate, so it could be purely coincidental.

Throughout the 10 episodes, the students have been preparing for their exams, creating their sculptures which would be shown in an exhibition and we’ve finally made it! This is by far one of the most enjoyable scenes because all their hard work has finally come to fruition.

Personally, I wish she went to Paris because, at the exhibition, her professor praised her work and mentioned that she should go! “Eat what you want and do what you want to do.” She was advised by almost everybody not to choose Jaeeon but she did anyway. Not only that, I wanted her to go to Paris to get away from the men and finally choose herself for once.

Jiwan brings Sol flowers, everyone is in awe of each other’s work and Dohyeok comes with flowers for Nabi. But something’s missing, she’s looking for Jaeeon and once he arrives, she dumps the bouquet back in Dohyeok’s hands. Now, I see why love triangles are frustrating. To my disappointment, Dohyeok follows her in tow. But this scene is important because she finally tells him how happy he makes her, despite choosing Jaeeon over him. He was definitely one of my favorite characters because he was always so kind and considerate but I think by verbally rejecting him, he finally got the message and respectfully moved on.

The ending

In another scene, we finally see all the couples with their happy ending and honestly, it made the drama worthwhile. Seeing Bitna and Gyuhyun, Sol and Jiwan and the admins together was the best. I feel like many people stopped focusing on Jaeeon and Nabi because their situationship was frustrating and was always going left. But in that scene too, Nabi leaves the gathering and walks back to the gallery. And of course, she was looking for Jaeeon and he had her right where he wanted — after all, she still wore the bracelet he gifted to her. In the scene, she tells him that she hates him and knows that he toys with people’s feelings but feels much better when she’s with him and sees him. Furthermore, she tells him “don’t go anywhere and stay by my side.”

At that moment, I wanted to close my laptop in frustration. But, we knew this was going to happen! She also asks him to start going out and he responds with ‘you won’t regret it?” and she mentions she will but will still go for it!

The title of the episode makes sense too because it tells a story. From “there’s no such thing as love to nevertheless, I still”, it reels us back to the essence of the drama — Nabi was always going to make a mistake for the one she ‘loves’. In the final scene, she is walking with Jaeeon but stops for a second after spotting Dohyeok at a cafe and does nothing, she brushes it off immediately. Maybe it’s a sign that she is officially over everything?

What did you think of Nevertheless season 1, episode 10 (finale), and the ending? Comment below.

12 thoughts on “Nevertheless season 1, episode 10 recap – the finale/ending explained

• August 22, 2021 at 9:53 am

The way Jaeeon didn’t declaring that he has a girlfriend infront of girls when Nabi approached also bother me. He just said “I have a promise today” but not saying “she is my girlfriend” doesn’t it kinda hint that he may still like he is before… and also the way Nabi stopped when she saw Daehyok i wonder if she actually regret a second but she brushed it off..

• August 22, 2021 at 10:12 am

I know people have probably said this, but I’d just like to highlight the webtoon for a sec; there, Jae-eon was just toying with her the entire time, she breaks it off and spends like a year to just focus on herself while keeping in contact with Dohyeok (who she in the webtoon is actually interested in, but is afraid of hurting him due to everything that is going on. Luckily, Dohyeok has also made some mistakes along the way, making them more equal…). While I was inexplicably rooting for Jae-eon, the webtoon ending was honestly really refreshing. The final few panels made it super frustrating but in a realistic way; the girls approach Dohyeok over his youtube channel, she gets mildly jealous and wonders if people ever change; at the same time she sees someone with a butterfly tattoo, picking up girls and discussing his pet butterflies, and how even if you release them, they always continue on tbe same path… Idk, i thought it was a really good, frustrating but realistic ending, and even though I for some twisted reason was rooting for J I wish the drama would have ended the same way!

• August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm

It may be frustrating how Nabi chose Jae-eon, even though he had treated her so badly. But anything is better than the kinda plot we had to suffer in Start Up (spoiler). ? For the audience sake, at least they kept the couple that they had invested screen time into together. And at least Jae-eon left for a while like he’d “promised” . If he had stayed it would have only become more toxic for them both. Maybe he realised a thing or 2 when he was away. Also i liked how the drama embraced art and personality and physical differences in characters. No one character was like the other.

• August 22, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Completely agree -no one character was the same and I loved that! Thanks for reading the recap 🙂

• August 22, 2021 at 2:56 pm

• August 22, 2021 at 3:42 pm

The whole drama was frustrating, and I should have bowed out earlier. For me, Nabi was the problem. Jae was playing with her, because he plays with women. But she went along for the ride, and ultimately decided to keep riding, after declaring that it won’t end well. It’s her. It was always her – her obsession with him, despite his behavior.

The scene earlier in the series, where she sees him kiss another woman, and wipes the other woman’s lipstick off his lips…and kisses him? I knew she was going to be a problem.

I actually didn’t want her to end up with either man. Do Hyeok was too good of a guy to end up with woman who wasn’t into him. The way she treated him at the exhibition – he made a special effort to show up, with flowers, just because it was her day, and when she thought she saw Jae, she shoved his flowers back at him, and scurried off, like a puppy. That was so inconsiderate, when he was nothing but kind and genuine. She should have gone to Paris, and built an exciting life for herself.

Korean dramas don’t really go deep. The two good looking people MUST end up together, and this drama was no exception. My favorite couple? Kyung Joon and Min Young…just a funny, beautiful relationship, from beginning to end.

• August 22, 2021 at 4:32 pm

Literally agree with everything! I blame her because she knew how he was but still pursued him! Dohyeok was nice and she was so inconsiderate. In my head, she’s on an exchange program in Paris and chose nobody. And like I said, you’re right – the good-looking people must always end up together in the drama.

• August 22, 2021 at 9:34 pm

I loved the ending!! It was clear from tje beggining that for Jae-on Nabi was not just another girl. Even though he still has fears to be abandoned and hurt, that’d why it’s so hard for him to express his feelings, Nabi changed him. He was deeply hurt when he lost Nabi and kept his promise when he told her he was going to leave. In a way he set her free, the same as he set the butterflies free and he didn’t expect Nabi to go back to him. But she did because he is the one she likes, and as her proffesor told her, she should follow her heart. Her friend would have been the safe option, but she was not in love with him and to stay with him would have been to seetle. Besides, in the end Joe-on told her with his drawing that he had fallen in live with her the first day he saw he and in the gallery he talked about his feelings and his fears. Nabi saw this and that’s why she decided to stay with him, not because she is stupid but because she finally realized Jae-on true feelings. Yes, he was not completly open but for him, it was a lot. And yes, chosing Joe-on was a risk, but I think it’s definitely a risk worth taking!!!

• August 23, 2021 at 3:14 am

Has no one ever chosen the more exciting, bad boy? Has no one ever said to hell with it if I get hurt but I’m going to enjoy this ride? Not all of us choose the safest guy to be with and sometimes that guy even tries to change for us. I understand Nabi because I have been there and I still like the Jae-eons of this world. They’re broken too but just got better at hiding their feelings and got better at letting go. I absolutely loved this show!!

• August 23, 2021 at 8:36 am

Na-bi tries to deny her feeling for Jae-on but finally Na-bi realizes that Jae-on means everything for her…?

• August 23, 2021 at 8:36 am

• September 11, 2021 at 4:45 am

I am glad that they end up together. I don’t see it the same way the reviewer does. The ML evolves and cones to realize his feelings for her. Yes he hurt her in the past and she took herself out of it. But in the end they find their way back.to each other.. I believe he loves her too.