Diagnosis Recap: Mistrust and Cynicism

August 16, 2019
Daniel Hart 37
Netflix, TV Recaps
3.5

Summary

Diagnosis Season 1, Episode 5, “A Question of Trust” is frustrating, mostly because of the patient and her family, and not the condition itself.

3.5

Summary

This recap of Netflix documentary series Diagnosis Season 1, Episode 5, “A Question of Trust”, which concerns Rumination Syndrome, contains spoilers. You can read the recap of the previous episode by clicking these words.

Episode 5 introduces us to 17-year-old Lashay Hamblin. She cannot hold anything down that she eats or drinks. Due to negative experiences with previous doctors who accuse her condition of being psychological, the family has been ultra-cynical about other diagnoses. Lashay claims that her experiences began when a raccoon bit her, but tests have dismissed that her condition is down to parasitical involvement.

Out of all the episodes so far in Diagnosis, “A Question of Trust” was the most frustrating. I want to think I am an intuitive person, and my intuition tells me that something is not quite right with this story.

Dr. Lisa Sanders does her utmost best to crowdsource ideas for Lashay and her family, but there is one flagrant problem: her mother. Lashay’s mother spends most of Episode 5 speaking for her daughter. Nearly every question aimed at Lashay is met with silence, and her mother speaks on her behalf. It’s particularly hard to watch when Dr. Lisa Sanders interviews both of them, and the mother is defensive rather than trying to provide a collaborative presence.

I get it — being a parent can cause any rational person to be extra-protective, but there is a story that is not told in Episode 5. I understand that doctors can let you down, making parents froth at the mouth. But I believe the biggest giveaway in “A Question of Trust” is the mother not even considering further options; surely, you would want to find a cure for your daughter?

The crowdsourcing is positive, but some of the responses are negative, accusing Lashay of having an eating disorder. The most consistent diagnosis was Rumination Syndrome. During the crowdsourcing exercise, Lashay’s mother half-dismissed all suggestions, claiming that doctors have already been down this path. I could tell by Dr. Lisa Sander’s facial expressions what she was thinking: “Let your daughter speak”.

Dr. Sanders introduces Lashay to a clinic with a positive reputation, and a patient gives her the low-down on Skype about his experiences. Surprise, surprise, the mother is lurking in the background ready to provide an inconclusive answer.

Diagnosis Season 1, Episode 5, “A Question of Trust” ends with Lashay leaning towards joining this clinic, but the end credits reveal that she has still not accepted treatment for Rumination Syndrome. I would not be surprised if as soon as the cameras departed her mother put a stop to it all. Either that or Lashay is not wholly truthful about her ordeal.

I just don’t get it. If you have Rumination Syndrome and there is a clinic willing to help, surely you’d take it to improve your chances of living a long, healthy life — Dr. Sanders expressed the risks with the tubing and bacteria, yet there’s a reluctance to take the help available. I guess you can only help someone who wants to be helped.

This episode bugged me — I wish I knew the truth behind closed doors.

You can read the recap of the sixth episode by clicking these words.

37 thoughts on “Diagnosis Recap: Mistrust and Cynicism

• August 17, 2019 at 8:58 pm

I sooooo agree with you. I am EXTREMELY annoyed by this episode. I don’t understand how you get a possible diagnosis with a possible treatment and you just choose not to try it. I understand that the diagnosis wasn’t delivered to her correctly (or with sensitivity) the first time, but seriously, get over it. If there is even a chance that the treatment can help her, why isn’t she taking it??? I also feel like there has to be more to this story, because their reaction and unwillingness to listen to the doctors is extremely strange.

• August 18, 2019 at 3:53 am

Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy?

• August 18, 2019 at 6:12 am

Yeah, I’m not entirely sure at all. The mother’s level of involvement was very disturbing to me. She is not a baby anymore, however it seems like (and at one stage the girl even says that) the mother always does everything for her. I think that either there is another cause to the illness which they (parents and daughter) don’t want to disclose, or perhaps the girl (and even her mom) enjoys all of the attention and doesn’t wish to get better. It makes no sense to me that you have a treatment option and just decide not to take it. What’s the harm in trying if you REALLY want to get better? It makes me very angry, because there are other people in this world who would try ANYTHING to cure their illness, yet this girl has a possible cure, but just isn’t interested in trying it out…

• August 19, 2019 at 6:21 am

Exactly what I was thinking. I believe she’s choosing to remain sick. She’s received her diagnosis and both her and her mother choose to post on Facebook that she is undiagnosed and a rare case when she could have been treated a long time ago. She seems spoiled & not to mention, completely stripped of independence. Her “case” took up a spot on the show that could have been filled with someone who really is sick and needs answers, but instead her and her family wanted to be highlighted on netflix and given a diagnosis and she chose not to get herself better. She’s staying sick for the attention it brings her, I’m sorry. And she’s entitled and rude to her mother, her mom went to hug her on the show and she said “Don’t!” It’s a mess. It bothers me because there could have been someone else who really got answers.

• August 18, 2019 at 9:25 am

I agree. The thing that bugged me most was that Lashay kept parroting her mother by saying that she’s had a “bad experience” with being delivered the RS diagnosis in the past (and this increased in frequency throughout the episode, as if she was desperately trying to convince us). Okay, sure, I get that some doctors are insensitive. But these folks have re-delivered the message in a compassionate, understanding way. She said she wants to get better and have a normal life – why not give it a try?

• August 18, 2019 at 4:50 pm

The ep was filmed some time ago. Is Lashay still refusing treatment? Why did they even want to be in the NYT program if they were never going to seek treatment??

• August 18, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Guess I’m not the only one who almost immediately after watching Lashay’s mother thought “Munchausen by Proxy”. As a nurse and a mother of two, I would want to try anything that had a remote possibility of curing my child. Red flags all over this episode. No mother wants to see their child in pain, bent over barely being able to walk … then to see her hemming and hawing about “maybe” allowing her child to enter treatment for it. A picc line is no joke and it’s certainly not a cure. That’s an open direct line right into someone’s heart.

She posted on FB on July 16: “My mom for almost 4 years has spent endless nights researching and trying to figure out what’s going on and has kept track of my medication that I have no idea what I’m on, what they do or how long I should be on certain medications for.” I’m confused why her mother is still researching when she was given a diagnosis and offered a treatment center to help her overcome this “phase” of her life (as she puts it). It’s also alarming that her parents haven’t educated her about the medication she is receiving (to the point of having full control over it).

Too many questions, too many flags and something just not accurate about this episode. I hope Lashay is able to find some relief soon. She seems like such a lovely young lady.

• August 18, 2019 at 7:48 pm

It’s like they don’t believe Lashay has rumination. The mother said herself that she feels—in her gut—that it’s parasitic. I understand if you’ve been told before that you have rumination and you tried the breathing treatment—which didn’t go well—how you would be skeptical of trying it again. However, the guy she Skyped with said it didn’t work for him the first time either. Dr. Sanders said her previous test showed she had rumination, and introduced her to a hospital that specializes in treating this condition. If it were me, I would go. I feel, at the very least, I would learn something.

• August 18, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Lashay needs to get away from her mother asap. This episode has munchausen by proxy written all over it. At the very least, Lashay is being controlled by a narcissistic mother who believes she’s a doctor and is denying her treatment at every turn. So many redflags at the 26:00 minute mark, when the mom starts acting shifty, tells the interviewer that her daughter doesn’t connect with those people, and then starts talking about herself. Even before that, at the 15:50 minute mark, couldn’t help but notice when the mother starts making those bizarre expressions with a strong resemblance to other lying sociopaths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ECs2-Cv7Fo

• August 19, 2019 at 3:30 am

What annoys me about this episode (and the series generally) is how even the doctor seems reticent or unwilling to consider psychological factors. In one episode she dismisses a patient’s anxiety as “not a real diagnosis” despite the fact that psychotherapy has all but eliminated his cardiac problem. It’s like she has bought into this idea that there is something dirty about a psychological diagnosis, that this is practically equal to telling the patient she’s faking it. Coming from a Yale doctor, that attitude is disappointing.

In Lashay’s case something psychological is clearly going on. Even if the underlying condition is or was physiological it’s apparent that Lashay herself seems disinterested in finding a cure. At one point she even mentions having been fine with her “port” and you almost get this sense that it’s some kind of passive bulimia going on, where she may not be causing the vomiting, but she isn’t particularly motivated to stop it either.

Admittedly even using the “P” word in the mother’s presence would have been inadvisable, but all the same, I feel the doctor is unduly closed-minded to the detriment of these patients.

• August 19, 2019 at 7:15 am

As someone diagnosed with POTS and EDS it was my first thought regarding her diagnosis and wasn’t surprised when they mentioned it. The average POTS sufferer is a 17 year old girl who looks perfectly healthy on the outside despite not being so. POTS symptoms are often triggered by a traumatic event (obviously her first hospital visit was so). IV fluids are also one of the most common treatments. POTS can result in gastroparesis, cyclic vomiting and other digestive problems. Even though I don’t have that symptom of actually vomiting, that image of her hunched over is one I know well for myself- trying to stop the dizziness, trying to keep food down. The fact that her blood pressure drops along with the tachycardia doesn’t rule out POTS whatsoever. Even the mothers behaviour reminds me of the PTSD that is commonly developed with a wired sympathetic nervous system, her facial expressions show she has little to no trust in what she is being told.

Whether or not it is rumination, the reason why this family seem to be so unsure about accepting the diagnosis seems obvious to me- I also went through many years before diagnosis where I saw many doctors. In my youth I had implicit trust in my doctors, and then suddenly when my symptoms became unusual and I was not believed, all my trust dwindled away. I looked healthy outside and was either brushed off I was misdiagnosed multiple times and ended up reacting severely (with a life threatening allergic reaction) to a medication. I felt forced to turn to deep research of my own and sought out answers without doctors. I struggled to accept treatments suggested because of extreme fear and anxiety about getting worse. I didn’t appreciate feeling like the doctors guinea pig. “A question of Trust” is the correct title- it’s hard to trust the medical system when you have been through this kind of thing. But in saying that, I know first hand that ignoring the mental health side of things- the anxiety and fear that come with the territory- this anxiety will only get worse if not addressed. And anxiety will only add to the condition.

• August 19, 2019 at 11:43 am

Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome (MBPS) is a deadly disorder of which awareness must be increased. It is characterized by a parent, usually the mother, who intentionally causes illness in her child. The disorder was named after Baron von Munchausen. There are different intensities and manifestations of this disorder.

• August 20, 2019 at 2:11 am

They wasted this opportunity. An opportunity that should have gone to someone else.

• August 21, 2019 at 2:08 am

Geez. I have lived what Lashay and her family are living. What you see in a short video is usually not what is really happening. It is difficult as a mom who had a daughter that was misdiagnosed with rumination syndrome to read these comments and this perspective. There were sooo many appts that LewLew and I would talk before we would go into appts and I would ask her, “How are you feeling today? Do you have the energy to do the talking or do you want me to help describe how you are doing?” Many days she chose the second. The amount of fatigue and pain that is caused by malnutrition is someting i hope that no one will ever have to experience. It is truly a time that as a mom, you will never forget. We never ever gave up believing it was something structural not autonomic nervous system related. And we were RIGHT! Unless you have LIVED – really lived – what it is like to have a child that can not eat or drink without it bouncing right back up his or her throat instantly, please don’t cast stones. The way that so many people – doctors included – jump to judgement is absurd. All that Lashay’s parents are trying to do is help her get a proper diagnosis – just as we did. We had to get crazy creative trying to figure out what was wrong with LewLew. Lashay’s mom did all she was supposed to do if it were RS, but let me tell you……. diaphramic breathing is painful if you DO NOT have RS! ALWAYS CHOOSE KINDNESS.

• August 21, 2019 at 6:51 am

Exactly! In the episode they said she probably only had pots like symptoms because of dehydration but according to her medical records she had been taking IV fluids and she was still positive for POTS. Rumination doesn’t come with the fatigue that POTS does. Further she has actually also been diagnosed with MCAS according to her records (which wasn’t mentioned in the episode) which is a big red flag to say this is POTS/ MCAS/ EDS related 100%. They said the meds for pots/ MCAS didn’t seem to help but there was no mention of ever changing her diet which is vital for treatment.

• August 21, 2019 at 1:05 pm

If you google my daughter’s name – LewLew Whayne – you will hear our story. I believe that sweet Lashay has some sort of compression syndrome! I have been able to help many girls get diagnosed with SMAS, Positional SMAS (superior mesenteric artery syndrome) or MALS! They are so tricky to diagnose that people can go for years and years with the wrong diagnosis!!!

• August 21, 2019 at 3:12 pm

The diagnosis may be wrong, but that completely misses the point.

Any rational person would proceed with the therapy recommended, at least to rule out the Rumination Syndrome diagnosis, if nothing else. At a minimum, this would bring you closer to getting the real diagnosis because doctors would no longer be pursuing that blind alley.

Alternatively, you might be wrong and it might be the answer!

Proceeding with the therapy is, therefore, a win-win or in other words, a “no brainer”.

Meanwhile, you have not suggested an alternative treatment nor explained the logic behind rejecting the only treatment option currently on the table.

• August 21, 2019 at 3:18 pm

Please look into MALS. It causes all of this. It is fixable with surgery. Check out MALS awareness on facebook. It is a physical disorder. My daughter developed symptoms at 15 years following a traumatic experience.

• August 21, 2019 at 8:53 pm

Hi.

She may have to get a variety of different opinions because some doctors really are the pits and make assumptions as to what you have. I have been through the same thing as this girl on episode 5. I was regurgitating food and throwing up a lot with no way to keep fluids or food down. It took a variety of opinions and going to different doctors to find out what I had. Originally, they thought it was acid reflux and kept telling me that I was normal even though I had severe abdominal pain and continued to regurgitate food. I eventually collapsed and started having black outs because of lack of food and hydration and went into the emergency ward. I had accepted, at this point in time that all this was just normal for me and that it would continue my whole life. After being in the emergency ward they started a bunch of different tests including scopes and they found over the course of a few months that I had duodenum Cancer that was very aggressive and it was blocking my food from being processed and being digested. This was what was causing the food to regurgitate back up for me. I had to have a Whipple procedure to remove the malignant tumour and I am still undergoing chemo treatment but at least I am now able to keep food down and water and I feel better than I have in years. If you have something like this going on where you can’t keep food down don’t just ignore it like I did. I thought that I could just fight my way through it and that it would eventually go away. It caught up with me and thank god it did!

• August 23, 2019 at 12:47 am

I think the reason for the Lack of Conclusion with Lashay is for 2 Main Reasons
    No.1 Lashay was now starting to take acontrol and interest in Researching her condition and weighing their options along with her mom.

No.2 I suspect due to her mum’s concerns and stress from long period of not getting answers /support I think her Mum and Lashay decided to continue The Recovery Part of Lashays journey as a Private Matter to explore and Protect Lashays Future and Character from Media repercussions.
    Just because the Episode ended with stating Lashay has not sought treatment for Rumination Syndrome does NOT mean that Lashay has not sought help privately at a late date.. it’s Lashays Eight and choice to keep her Medical treatment private…

• August 23, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Lashay’ mother has an issue. There’s something seriously wrong with the way she interacts with her daughter. And both daughters’ body language points out that they feel rather uncomfortable around her. I’m wondering if she has something to do with Lashay’s illness. A type of Munchausen syndrom maybe?

• August 24, 2019 at 5:23 am

Lots of people have said Munchausen, but there’s nothing factitious about all of Lashay’s test results which you can see on the original new York Times article. Munchausens is very rare, my guess is that her mother has something more common- Asperger’s. It would completely explain her obsessive researching and interest in her daughters health, which is a common special subject for aspies who deal with multiple chronic illnesses. POTS and EDS also just so happen to have some comorbidity with Aspergers. Not to mention her odd facial expressions and feelings of trauma/ PTSD- also common is ASD.

• September 1, 2019 at 8:10 am

Your multiple replies on the comments leads me to think you’re either the mom or have a close association with her.

Why on earth would you make excuses for a woman with very clear mental issues regarding her daughters health and well-being?

A chest port is an incredibly serious issue. Coupled with the fact that this woman is administering these things into her daughter in the home, where the presence of germs/viruses are ridiculously high, and it’s a risk of life and death. This risk was not over-exaggerated in the episode.

This is not as simple as mom not having trust in the medical community because a doctor was calloused in their delivery-this is a complete disregard for her daughter in order to feel in control. Mom needs help with a mental health professional and daughter will need it, as well, due to mom’s condition.

Stop enabling poor behavior because you are either in close proximity to this family or feel guilty due to your own situation mirroring this one. Her behavior could kill her daughter.

I sincerely hope CPS takes a good long look at this situation and get this child the medical attention she so desperately needs.

• September 1, 2019 at 10:08 am

Handbasket, the assumptions you’ve just made about me from a handful of comments are about as accurate as I assume the assumptions you’ve made about these people. I don’t know this family personally, I’ve never spoken to them nor do I even live in the same country. I simply have compassion, maybe you should try it sometime.

I never said that it wasn’t a dangerous situation nor did I excuse her behaviour. I did offer an alternative explanation which is what crowdsourcing is about, and I’m not afraid to share my educated opinion even if it stands against the crowd. Whether the mum has Asperger’s, Munchausens, PTSD or another similar condition she would obviously then benefit from therapy. Nonetheless the daughter is suffering from a complicated chronic illness, something I also have, and this experience is not something the majority of people understand. I certainly don’t assume to know their whole story but I can sure fill in some gaps from my own experiences. And i’m disappointed, but unsurprised, to see such a majority of people making the same judgements that so many general doctors do (“oh she looks healthy, she must be faking it”, “it’s probably just anxiety”), and having had that experience I’m sympathetic to why they act in such a distrustful way. Just ask any female with an autoimmune disorders or rare syndrome how easy it was for them to get diagnosed, how many misdiagnosis’ they received first, how many people brush off their symptoms- and you will see the deep injustice against women in the medical system. It’s no excuse, but it’s a lot easier for you to tell someone else what to do. You’re not in that situation.

Maybe I’m an idiot for trusting in what they are saying but when someone or their child is sick and they are desperate for answers it doesn’t help to undermine them by assuming they just have a mental disorder. There are no doubt a lot of factors that were not mentioned in the film, and assuming that is so, the mother was perfectly within her right not share everything with the entire world.

As I’m largely confined to my home, I found this thread in hope to support someone who I suspect has the same conditions as I do, in one of the few ways that I can, and hopefully shed some light on answers. I’ve had the pleasure of helping hundreds of dear ones online with my chronic illness to understand a little more about themselves in past through education. That said, I won’t be replying to anymore comments as there is only judgement and lack of compassion here. I hope for the best for this family as well as all my fellow zebras.

• August 24, 2019 at 1:46 pm

We just went through this with a family member, a 60 year old male and doctors were treating him like it was all in his head and he just needed to eat. Finally he was diagnosed with Addison’s disease (adrenal failure) within hours of being administered hydrocortisone by is this dying man was eating everything he could. It’s a simple blood test to determine

• August 26, 2019 at 2:26 am

Mother should get a psychological eval for Munchausen. According to Lashay’s FB page, she doesn’t even know what meds she is on sometimes and leaves everything up to mother.

• August 26, 2019 at 7:41 am

She’s only 17. Make no mistake, she is still a child. How many 17 year olds have to advocate for their own healthcare? Not many, because most 17 year olds are healthy. When you suffer from severe fatigue, malnutrition, anxiety and pain, and suffer from a chronic ‘invisible’ illness (as in, you can’t tell just from looking at her) like Lashay does, AND you have a supportive mother willing to research and take care of the things they cannot, that is not anything bad or unusual. If you looked at her medical records she has been put on and taken off countless medications already. Lashay also said on her Facebook she is starting to take on the responsibilities of advocating for her own health now she is growing into adulthood. Medical trauma based PTSD is a real condition that the mother clearly struggles with. http://www.facesofptsd.com/medical-trauma-ptsd

• August 30, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Wow!! Mom presents as beyond controlling, a hallmark of an eating disorder diagnosis. She dismissed health experts and all from the crowd who were genuinely trying to help. It us a fact that moms non answers and non solutions are the largest barrier for a successful treatment. SHE IS MAINTAINING LASHAYS ILLNESS! J agree with a munchausen by proxy diagnosis for mom. If you watch the episode again you will hear, I, me or mine. It is all about mom. I also believe mom organized the end of the episode because she realized that the public’s perception of her is nothing short of a monster. #URKILLINGHER

• September 2, 2019 at 12:49 pm

(Sorry for my english-I have wathced the episode translated in Italian) I have just seen the episode and rushed online to search for some comments about it because I was shocked about her mom’s behaviour. You have already explained couple of reasons why it is very strange, I would like to add a now one: she never let her duaghter speak and always interfere when it is about rejecting a new treatment because she says she is scared of side effects, but never encourages or highlights something positive about a new treatment. Nevertheless she is ok with a cardiac portal that has so many side effects, but near the end of the episode she said they agreed long time ago not to do anything invasive, and I think they are referring to the NG tube, but again, the cardiac portal was fine! Why?! It really makes no sense to me and I am really disturbed by this episode.

• September 6, 2019 at 9:45 am

that’s what I was wondering… Why is mom okay with this tube that makes a hole in her daughter’s heart that can lead to bacterial infections that could kill her and yet she won’t try the variety of not gonna kill her daughter treatments that people suggest that may help her?
      Lashay’s father! Save your child!

• September 11, 2019 at 4:18 pm

SMAS or MALS… this was my first thought! Indeed tricky to diagnose, but totally curable with a surgical intervention.
    Get better and healthy!

• September 11, 2019 at 5:51 pm

I would’ve thought Lashay would have been tested for SMAS or MALS by now. I have SMAS, and had to have a CT scan and an upper GI series. I assume the testing for MALS is similar.

• September 16, 2019 at 8:10 am

The article series/show is called “diagnosis,” NOT “medical results consolor.” The point is to help people who have mysterious symptoms without a known cause and find and treat their problems. This case seems like it should have been stopped in the “I read you records phase” because they LIED when they said they needed a diagnosis. When Dr. Sander read the file she would have found a dainois the fit perfectly and a positive test for it in that file! After reading that a new patient could have been chosen, one who needs a diagnosis. Perhaps the danger of the port was what motivated her, and she hoped they might listen to other patients with RS if they didn’t listen to her doctor.

We also only have these people’s word that the doctors didn’t think what she had was “real” and said it was “in her head” which they say means the mean doctor are treating me like I’m crazy. But the head also means THE BRAIN, so would including anything neological. It’s very possible that the nice doctor said she had a problem in her brain/nerves and they misinterpreted it into they think i’m crazy and doctors are evil! The mother really wants the answer to be an active infection NOT a nerve/neurological issue that takes what sounds like swallowing physical therapy to treat. But you don’t get to shop for a diagnosis.

• October 5, 2019 at 4:55 am

Ive got the diagnosis: MUNCHAUSEN SYNDROME. The mother perpetually talked about HERSELF thru the episode or issues that werent remotely important in the present. Mom said “I want my daughter to have a life where she can have children” (what?? That’s extremely second rate to being ALIVE, nutcase) or “I am going to be up until 4am thinking about this” – what parent babbles on and on about how hard life is for THEMSELVES and perpetually tries to draw attention back to themselves when their child is DYING?? Then the mother talks about the rumination treatment to her daughter like it’s going to be the most difficult thing this girl has to do instead of encouraging her daughter to do this so she can get her life back. She doesnt need a doctor, she needs child protective services!

• October 27, 2019 at 10:19 pm

I jumped right after the episode to read the commemts am i the only one who is thinking that the problem is in mom which do not want her kid to be treated to get better. Like she was all the time asking for the whole attention to be on her my reaction to the diagnose for my kid will be like “awesome lets try it out” and her was more like “only that? I thought that its gonna be something special” mom have got big problem…. Of control and maybe trying to keep this girl sick to get more attention on her self how poor she is that she need to “give up” her life for a kid… Pff..

• May 8, 2020 at 7:41 am

I am a mother who was once accused of having a Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome (had to work with a child’s psychologist and my own psychologist on this issue). Thank god, CPS has not got involved. My daughter is chronically ill and I do advocate for her a lot. My experiences with doctors are absolutely horrible. If you join support groups for people with rare conditions, you will find out that a lot of people go through that. I do have some medical background (nursing degree, though never worked as a nurse) and I learn about everything by reading medical journals. I know what I talk about with these doctors. A lot of them do not know much about conditions that are not straight from medical books. Anything that is beyond classical examples/manifestations/symptoms – and they do not know much. I used to bring articles to prove I was right and they were mistaken. Doctors have a lot of ego. Often, their ego takes over. I’ve seen and heard horrible things from them when I tried to prove them wrong by showing medical articles. I had doctors scream at me and fire me over that. At some point, my daughter was diagnosed with something similar to rumination and I also did not believed it. After I was accused of Munchausen by Proxy, during the work I’ve been doing with the psychologist, my daughter was finally diagnosed with a few things. One of them a rare genetic condition, another is a genetic pituitary abnormality with a possible non-secreting tumor, on top of that – beginning diabetes, and EDS. We are being tested for POTS and MCAS right now. The accusations in Munchausen against me were dropped. When I watch this episode, I see a case of EDS-POTS-MCAS/MCAD. There are very few doctors in the country who know how to treat this, specifically MCAS. Diet a big component of it. I have not seen anyone mention anything about that. I’ve seen many doctors. Last one who claimed to be a specialist on MCAS told me something that is absolutely not true about the manifestations of the disorder. Meaning, do not trust any doctor even if he/she says he/she is a specialist. I hope Lashay will find out what’s wrong with her and get better.

• August 5, 2021 at 2:57 am

I really don’t understand that girl. What does she have to lose really? The alternative is so much worse.