This article is a preview for The Walking Dead season 11, episode 19, “Variant”, and contains details of the release date, time, and where to watch online. It may contain spoilers for previous episodes.
The final ever episodes of The Walking Dead are well underway now, but I suppose that depends on how you interpret the word “final”. For a series that has never really treated death with any permanence, it only seems fitting that these characters and stories will continue to live on in spin-offs, as they have already in Fear the Walking Dead, The Walking Dead: World Beyond, and Tales of The Walking Dead.
We’ve already had confirmation that there will be a Daryl and Carol spin-off, although recently it seems as though it might just be a Daryl spin-off, and at this year’s New York Comic Con we got our first look at the upcoming The Walking Dead: Dead City, which will feature Maggie and Negan and is slated for release in April 2023. With all that, it’s hard to consider the upcoming end… well, the end.
The Walking Dead season 11, episode 18 tied a few ongoing storylines together as the Commonwealth finally collapsed under its own weight. Here’s what happened, in summary:
- Pamela planned to frame a captured Hornsby for Sebastian’s crimes, and then have the Commonwealth’s citizens cease their protests by forcing Sebastian to recite a pre-written speech.
- Max, guessing that Sebastian would go off-script, secretly recorded him slagging off his mother and undermining the ostensibly democratic foundations of the Commonwealth. She then replaced his grandfather’s original Founder’s Day speech with the recording, so when Sebastian predictably tried to win the crowd over, he ended up sending them into a frenzy.
- The chaos in the crowd coincided with Walkers making their way inside the walls thanks to Hornsby’s pet assassins slaughering the saniation department. Sebastian was eaten by the zombies while the disinterested crowd looked on.
The Walking Dead season 11, episode 19 release date
“Variant” is currently available on AMC+. It will air on AMC on Sunday, October 16, at 9 p.m. ET.
Where to watch online
Since The Walking Dead is such a popular and longstanding show, there are many different ways to check out the latest episode. The most efficient for die-hard fans is, obviously, an AMC+ subscription, which allows you to view the episode a week before everyone else. Using AMC’s app or website, the episode can be live-streamed at the date and time above when it officially airs, and anyone else can access the episode via a litany of live TV streaming platforms such as Spectrum, Sling TV, DirecTV, Fubo TV, Philo TV, Xfinity, Apple TV, and YouTube TV.
Preview for “Variant”:
Here’s an official synopsis for The Walking Dead season 11, episode 19:
Eugene goes on the run, and Mercer is tasked to find him; Aaron’s group faces a complication on the road.
From this we can make some assumptions:
- I’m pretty sure Mercer is on the side of the good guys now, so his “pursuit” of Eugene will likely result in a means for him to escape.
- Horsnby and Pamela will surely have something cooked up and this will begin to reveal itself. Pamela will obviously be fuming about Sebastian’s death and will probably reluctantly turn to Hornsby for help.
- What will the complication on the road be? Seems like another “slightly new breed of zombie” story.
- The remaining members of the main group who’re still stuck in the Commonwealth will certainly conspire to escape, or at least overthrow Pamela’s leadership and rebuild.
You can stream The Walking Dead season 11, episode 19 right now on AMC+, and catch it on AMC from October 18.