Is 28 Days Haunted real or fake?

October 25, 2022
Louie Fecou 22
Features, Netflix, RSC Originals, Streaming Service
Loading JustWatch data...

Netflix’s 28 Days Haunted has spurred up a lot of debates online, but is the reality horror series fake or real? We delve into both possibilities. This article may contain spoilers.

There is no denying that there is an audience for true-life paranormal TV shows. There has been a whole host of these sorts of shows from all corners of the globe that show grainy black and white clips of cryptids and shadow people or so-called investigators entering allegedly haunted buildings in the hope of contacting the dead, so it’s no surprise that Netflix would grab the format, tweak it, and present it to their audience, but the question on everyone’s lips — is the Netflix horror reality series 28 Days Haunted fake or real? Let’s dive into that question.

What is 28 Days Haunted about?

So, the premise here is simple. Three teams of paranormal investigators are taken blindfolded to 3 separate locations and must spend 28 days there. The 28 days time limit is to help validate the claims of Ed and Lorraine Warren of The Conjuring fame, who stated that 28 days was the optimal amount of time needed to properly investigate hauntings. The teams are given no information about the place they are to stay in and must conduct an investigation to uncover the secrets of where they are. They are being monitored independently and have their own equipment too so that everything that occurs can be recorded.

It’s easy to lean into the idea that 28 Days Haunted is fake. The problem with this type of show is the way they are actually recorded and edited. If you take everything you see at face value, then you would have to agree that these haunted properties are genuinely haunted.

In all three locations, there are all kinds of paranormal activities happening. We hear all kinds of noises, bumps, and crashes, and there are even instances of objects moving on their own, including cabinet doors opening and things seemingly falling without being pushed.

On top of this, the team use devices such as “spirit boxes” that seem to provide “voices” for the spirits trapped in our realm. Coupled with some of the investigators claiming to have psychic powers, that enable them to hear and contact the dead, it would seem that at face value, the ghosts are real.

Is the Reality Horror series 28 Days Haunted fake?

However, I would argue that there is every opportunity for everything that happens in the six episodes to be faked or added in post-production. Let’s be honest, if you have spent the production fee on 6 episodes of a true-life haunting series, and nothing much happens, you have a dud on your hands. So, the temptation to add effects and sound in post must be incredibly tempting.

On several occasions, especially in the final episodes, the sound mix is definitely in favor of highlighting any crash or bang. We all know the magic of careful editing, and how much a piece of film can be doctored to change the original tone, so it must be the easiest job in the world to make footage scarier for an audience that has tuned in to be scared. It has to be noted that the investigators spend a lot of time with night vision cameras in allegedly haunted locations, so they are on high alert from the get-go. If they react to anything on camera, it is the easiest thing in the world for the editors to add a huge bang effect in there and make it seem as if they are reacting to that effect.

It’s an old trick, and if we accept that can happen, what else could they do? Pivotal points in the series include the cabinet doors opening on their own, one of the few actually paranormal occurrences that is seen physically by the viewers, but this could easily have been done with special effects or camera trickery.

The same can be said for anything that seems to fall of its own volition, so this evidence is not conclusive proof at all. Everything else that happens, including the psychics picking up on ghosts of the dead, and having strange dreams, can be put down to the professionals wanting to perform for the camera and having to deliver, and the locations chosen all seem to be well-known paranormal hot spots, so it would not be surprising for someone on the team to realize where they are and to regurgitate what they remember about the place.

Props that show up over the course of the series also don’t ring true. A copper pentagram found in the grounds of one of the locations is very suspicious, and luckily the team that find it had a metal detector on hand so it could be uncovered. A newspaper article about a decades-old murder is found hidden in the wall of a basement validating the investigators’ suspicions about a serial killer on the loose. I can’t believe nobody else found this before the investigators arrived.

On top of everything else, I will leave it up to you to watch the show and pay attention to some of the performances of the teams. Psychics either seem to not want to do the job they have been given or go over the top and end up in the hospital. Everything seems so staged, and perhaps for the sake of entertainment, it should be overlooked, but if that is the case, then yes, 28 Days Haunted looks fake.

Could 28 Days Haunted be real? If so, how?

This is divisive. If you take everything that you see on the screen as the honest truth, then yes, this show could be showing us real paranormal activity and showcasing psychics who have a link to the dead. It does require the viewer to question nothing about what they have seen and to accept the events that happen as completely true, but if you believe in the supernatural, then yes, this will appear real to you. There is no doubt that the locations chosen all have horrendous and horrific past events attached to them, so if there are going to be ghosts or evil spirits, then these are the most likely places you would find them and coupled with the 28-day cycle that The Warrens have documented as the most effective way of investigating these places, then it would be easy to see why people would want to believe in the events they witness in the show. Could 28 Days Haunted be real? Well, yes, but only if you want to believe, without question.

Have the reviews for 28 Days Haunted been good or bad?

A quick look online and it’s bad news for the show, as reviews have been generally poor. On IMDB, the show has 3.3 out of 10, and comments include “OMG, the cringiest show ever” and “Cheesy and fake to the highest degree.” On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a weak 32% audience score and comments that include “It is the most laughable attempt at a show I have ever seen” and “Very disappointed, it all seems so set up and contrived.” The review in The Guardian gives it 2 stars and calls the show occasionally “tasteless.” There are a couple of more positive reviews, but the general feeling is the show falls at every hurdle. This is a show that will really only be enjoyed by people who are already heavily invested in the supernatural and will not question what they are seeing or viewers who see the unintentional humor in the presentation.

More Stories on 28 Days Haunted

22 thoughts on “Is 28 Days Haunted real or fake?

• October 25, 2022 at 11:56 pm

Who every wrote this review apparently never had a paranormal experience. I have I know there is good and bad. Some people get stuck in earth even after death. So before you something is fake just think of those who have had paranormal experiences as myself.

• October 26, 2022 at 2:10 pm

I have had paranormal experiences and this show looked fake af.

• October 26, 2022 at 4:45 pm

While i believe in the paranormal and am a psychic myself i believe this to be faked big time. The news article in the wall caps it off, altho i like the equipment used they had production crews with them and as the chair comes down those stairs theres a camera man recording the chair from upstairs. They had all that equipment yet no static cameras set up anywhere and nothing visual was caught.

• October 26, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Every person on this show has had failed shows that never had a second season. They literally scraped the bottom of the barrel to get these guys. The problem is that they are not believable at all and they fake stuff. That Shane guy was not a medium in his other show and now all of a sudden he has psychic abilities and same with the 3 guys in the house which the one guy is a medium but in Ghost loop his other show he wasn’t at all. Total crap and it has given the real ones a bad name and they should be ashamed

• October 27, 2022 at 2:26 am

The only true horror is how horrible the actors are! If a ghost is truely present and wants to talk to you….it will! You don’t need all these fake a*s gadgets to hear what they are saying!

• October 28, 2022 at 8:50 am

I second that @ Tiffany, I too have experienced the paranormal and these mofos are really good actors with fake props??

• October 28, 2022 at 2:13 pm

I personally really enjoyed the series. Now I must admit I have never ever experienced any paranormal activity and to be honest I don’t want to lol. I am religious and belief these things are real 100%! the series has faked some parts but can someone explain what it’s really like to experience paranormal things ? How are your experiences more realistic to the ones they portray on the show? Would love more info! ?

• October 31, 2022 at 2:53 pm

I’m a total sceptic although I’ve been present at things I really couldn’t explain. If they’d really not been told anything about these locations and not researched before, then I was impressed. Personally, I think the whole thing was a set up. I doubt it was even filmed over 28 days.

• November 1, 2022 at 4:20 am

All those blinky lights and Hollywood style plasma spheres just made me laugh my a*s off. Who knew blinky lights gave you a “psychic connection” to a ghost?

• November 1, 2022 at 8:45 am

I thought the ghostly image in the tobacco room of the dry goods store was interesting. I don’t think anyone mentioned it in the series. It crosses the screen in episode 4 at about 18:30 to 18:34, from right to left.
    Obviously it could have been edited in, but I thought that the people doing the show would have pointed it out. Maybe they did and I missed it.

• November 4, 2022 at 10:27 pm

What a load of old cobblers!

• November 5, 2022 at 7:07 pm

You cannot banish a demon without the demons name. This was so fake, the look from Jeremiah right at the end said it all

• November 5, 2022 at 7:43 pm

The look of the man as they were leaving the graveyard was sort of ‘devilish’ , just saying …..

• November 6, 2022 at 2:41 am

The only scary thing is the lack of use of spell-check by commenters. Horrifying that Americans can no longer spell at a grade school level.

• November 9, 2022 at 10:36 pm

When the Magneto helmet rolled out we were in stitches. This was next level BS. Quite possibly the worst (and therefore most hilarious) show ever to grace Netflix’s catalogue of disasters.

• November 12, 2022 at 5:46 pm

I’ve been in the presence of mediums and I’ve never seen one run away because there was a noise or a knocking soynd. On the contrary, they stand their ground and continue doing the work. That was what tired me the most, the running away from what they were called to do.

• November 15, 2022 at 7:38 am

I don’t know if what happened was real or not but they need to do a better job of proving to skeptics and believers that what they just filmed was accurate and truthfully portrayed.
    I never believed in ghosts or spirits until my friend passed. I went to visit him but not allowed, I wasn’t family. He had a terrible motorcycle accident and hit his head was in a coma.
    I returned to base and that night while sleeping the room was so cold I woke up to pull the blanket up over me and in the doorway was my friend. He did a gesture with his hands and said he was ok.
    I laid back down.
    In the morning I woke up remembering this dream. I began cleaning like and there a staff Sargent who came to our area and said do you guys hear yet?
    Hear what Staff Sargent?
    Bob passed last night.
    Even more strange was that about one year prior . Bob and 3 friends were at hotel drinking and messed around with a ouija board. They ran out of beer asked me to get them some. As I was not into drinking at a hotel with dudes but had went to see how there night was going.
    When I returned with the case of beer they were all gone. Only when I returned to base could I ask my friend Butler what happened.
    He told me they made contact with a spirit. The spirit had died on a motorcycle and Bob had started grabbing his back in pain. A short while latter Bob tried to jump off the 3 story of the hotel but they were able to pull back in.
    They were frantic and actually were slapping Bob because he appeared to be in zone of some sort.
    They broke the board and returned back to base. Bob never recalled any of it.
    I have had other weird occurrences but that one is truest and unexplainable to me.

• November 17, 2022 at 10:17 am

Its pretty obvious,these comments say it all. I agree with a lot of you guys! Watching the last episode right now. Can’t believe I allmost did believe all this,untill that blinky lights hat thing in episode 5…Wth?? Lol

• November 19, 2022 at 4:59 am

Lol? I loved it

• November 19, 2022 at 5:00 am

Lol? I loved it

• November 20, 2022 at 1:19 am

The number of fixed camera angles speaks volumes. But the people look like they believe this stuff – it’s a shame to make fun of the mentally ill; and I mean that will all sincerity.

• November 20, 2022 at 3:50 pm

Everything about this show screamed fake, from the start when each psychic stood in front of their respective locations and stated they definitely felt “negative energies.” Of course! Great scouting from production to find locations with such lurid pasts, so, they have to be haunted. Also, some of the “equipment” was laughable – the “God Helmet” resembled my child’s Optimus Prime toy helmet with wires glued on to the sides, not to mention the team with the cheesy old time radio hooked up to the static electricity machine. The EVP’s were also enhanced with eerie, whispery voices, which is not consistent with those types of electerical, scanned voice waves. I suspect these teams were taking lessons ditectly from the Zak Baggins playbook, but Zak has a much more engaging personality and showmanship. Boo!!