February 27, 2022
Daniel Hart 15
K-Drama, Netflix, Streaming Service, Weekly TV
2.5

Summary

The premiere of season 3 brings plenty of drama, but what are we doing here?

2.5

Summary

The premiere of season 3 brings plenty of drama, but what are we doing here?

This recap of the Netflix K-drama series Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce) season 3, episode 1, contains spoilers.

Read the recap of the previous episode.

We are back for the third season of Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce). I can’t believe I’m even writing this. I wrote this series off after season 1, but it’s somehow hanging in there, despite a slow, moving, and frustrating story and changing cast members. Talking of cast members, I understand contractual obligations are important, but these changes do not feel right. Let’s see if season 3 ends with some conclusions.

Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce) season 3, episode 1 recap

To open proceedings, Song Won has gone into labour, bringing excitement to Sa-hyeon’s parents, who are not sure what to do with themselves. Sa-hyeon stays by Song Won’s side and takes her to the hospital. Flashbacks show Won showing Sa-hyeon “the real her,” bringing intimacy between them. Sa-hyeon promises to protect her dignity. I’m pretty sure we’ve seen this scene before with the former actor of Sa-hyeon, so this felt super weird.

Dong-mi is still scheming, and she invites Ji-a over for a meal while her father is not there. Pi-young learns of this and demands that her daughter be taken home. Dong-mi was hoping that Ji-a would run into A-mi so she would disapprove of her father’s relationship with her. Meanwhile, Lee Si-eun is still struggling with her separation from her ex-husband and details her pain to him over a voice note. She mentions the children and Park Hae-ryun sobs. He messed up badly, and he knows it. Well, we knew in season 1, to be fair.

Pi-young and Dong-mi meet, and Pi-young is furious that she invited Ji-a over and wants to know her intentions, believing that it is to do with A-mi. Dong-mi raises how her daughter will find out sooner rather than later. The women erupt into an explosive argument, with Pi-young expressing that she’s sick of her scheming and accusing her of having feelings for Yu-sin. Dong-mi starts recording their conversation, and eventually, Pi-young smashes a vase. At this moment, Yu-sin and A-mi walk through the door, and the conniving Dong-mi immediately plays the victim. The argument now centers on Pi-young and Yu-sin, and as Pi-young leaves, Yu-sin angrily asks if he ever considers him. How dare he ask that—the audacity.

Pi-young tells Dong-mi never to ring Ji-a again. A-mi calls after Pi-young, admitting she feels ashamed of herself, and insists she’ll end it if she asks her. It’s incredible how much power Yu-sin has over these three women.

Anyway, another romance is blossoming; Seo Ban rings Si-eun, and he’s disheartened that a good night ended early, and he expresses how he loved her poem. Si-eun reveals she and Park Hae-ryun are divorced, which is news to him, and it feels like it changes everything. Later on, they meet up again, and Seo Ban tells Si-eun that she’s too good for her ex. The couple debate what long-term marriage means, and Seo Ban wonders if she will ever get back with her ex. You can tell he’s genuinely interested in her, and we can only hope he’s not a sleazy man like the rest of them.

But things change rather drastically. As Si-eun has hope in her love life, Park Hae-ryun rings her and explains that his face is paralyzed on one side; it’s a concerning health issue. Si-eun asks for his address so she can help him.

The ending

As the premiere ends, a couple of things happen…

A-mi tells Yu-sin that her father has passed away and she’s distraught.

Song Won brings her baby into the world. It’s a healthy boy. Sa-hyeon rings his parents to share the joyous news. Song Won lays her eyes on her child for the first time, and there’s an overwhelming sense of love and emotions for her child.

The premiere of season 3 brings plenty of drama, but what are we doing here?

What did you think of Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce) season 3, episode 1? Comment below!

You can watch this series with a subscription to Netflix.

15 thoughts on “Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce) season 3, episode 1 recap – the premiere explained

• February 27, 2022 at 3:36 pm

OMG***Spoiler***SONG WON?

• February 28, 2022 at 1:40 am

Not sure… still processing the changed of cast. Which makes it really weird. The Doctor seems a bit too short, couldn’t they have chosen someone with the same built and height?… And what about Sa-Hyeon, he looks the same age as Son Won, I thought he’s supposed to look younger?… I’m not sure how this Season will work out… but I hope it will get better.

• February 28, 2022 at 5:15 am

The cast changes have really affected the story. It’s hard to watch the new actors in the roles of the original husbands and stepmother. The new actors may be good, but the changes just throw everything off. I’m having a hard time getting back into the story. In addition, the new storylines just seem contrived and far fetched. Don’t know if I’m going to be able to keep watching. I miss the original cast and the excellent and believable story lines from the first two seasons. This is a disappointment. They should play all the original cast members what the want and bring them back. And I can’t believe they killed off Won. She was such a good and loving person. She deserved some happiness with her new baby and her man. Boohoo!

• February 28, 2022 at 5:19 am

I meant ‘They should pay the original cast what they want and bring them back.’ They make such a difference. It’s like showing up to your house and you have two nice strangers pretending to be your brother and sister, or your lover. No matter how sweet or authentic-seeming they are, it’s just not the same. Boohoo!!!

• February 28, 2022 at 5:45 am

Was looking forward to season 3. Totally lost interest with the new cast changes. Just lost its dynamic. Too bad.

• February 28, 2022 at 6:17 pm

Shocked about the cast changes but I still enjoying the drama and all the excitement of each character ?. Hate the death of Song Won waiting to see what the outcome is. Love the heat between Si-eun and Seo-Ban. Will watch until the end.

• February 28, 2022 at 6:18 pm

• February 28, 2022 at 6:43 pm

I am not sure why the drastic cast changes were made but it seems that you guys may have been under the gun. Song Won should not have been killed off so soon You should have allowed the fans to see her bond with her baby more. The actress that is playing Ms. Kim is NOT in the league of the first Ms. Kim. She looks clumsy and is trying to hard at best to fill this role. The original Shin Yu Shin was handsome and charasmatic…this one is not and his acting skills are so poor. The only one that I will not complain about is Sa-Hyeon, this actor seems like he may be able to pull that character off. I hope that it gets better in the next few episodes. If it does not improve, I will not continue to watch.

• March 1, 2022 at 12:56 am

They made such a terrible mistake changing any of the key characters. They are all terrible replacements. The original Shin Yu Shin was very manly and handsome. He had chemistry with his wife. The new guy is not up to par and has zero chemistry. I cannot get past the first episode. Ms Kim’s character is missing class, style, obnoxious connotations and more. They ruined it for me. I am done.

• March 1, 2022 at 10:22 pm

I was so disappointed with the cast change, no disrespect to the replacements. For me, it was painful to watch. I wish the producers could have ended the drama on a high note in season two. Oh well, I have other choices.

• March 9, 2022 at 8:57 pm

I’ll have to agree with everyone. At least get someone with the same height or structure. I watched the first episode and just the lost the vibe of the story.

• March 10, 2022 at 1:34 am

I anxiously awaited the release of this third season so much. 30 minutes into episode 1, I just couldn’t make it back into the story with the jarring change of some of the main characters because it changes the dynamics into unrecognizable relationships and the storyline didn’t feel like it carried over from what was built in the first two seasons. I will not be continuing with this show, but I genuinely loved the first two seasons. Grateful to see that others are feeling the same and sharing many of my same thoughts.

• March 13, 2022 at 8:02 pm

I didn’t like the preview at the end of season 2 where it looked like they switched partners but killing off a character, especially one who couldn’t get pregnant then lost her husband because of it, only to get a miracle child then die? I hate things like that so I will no longer watch. The cast changes didn’t bother me that much.

• March 13, 2022 at 8:40 pm

And it makes no sense to kill someone off who has been on the show since the beginning when 3 original cast members have left. Just makes no sense. She literally was the only decent person on the show.

• May 18, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Regardless of the Cast changes I still LOVE this show !!!!!! I can’t wait for Season 4 IM hoping I think it’s a SUPER AWESOME SHOW KUDOS to who ever Wrote this Produced it I’m a Super FAN of this SHOW I LOVE IT ?? LOVE IT ??LOVE IT ??!!!!!!!