Will there be an American Gigolo Season 2 on Showtime?

October 23, 2022
Jonathon Wilson 41
News, Premium Channels, Renewed or Cancelled, Showtime
Loading JustWatch data...

This article discusses the possibility of American Gigolo Season 2 and whether American Gigolo has been renewed or canceled. It may contain spoilers for the first season.

American Gigolo on Showtime is a remake, or I suppose reinterpretation, of the 1980 film of the same name directed by Paul Schrader. While it strips that film of some of its essential style and sexuality, the eight-part series has been better developed as a whodunit, and thanks to some excellent casting and pretty solid writing, fans have been sucked into the ongoing mystery.

But that mystery is almost at an end. With the season finale expected to air on October 30, 2022, many viewers who have been following along will be curious about the show’s potential future. So, here’s everything we know:

Will there be an American Gigolo Season 2?

Status: TBC

At the time of writing Showtime has not officially made a decision regarding the future of American Gigolo. However, despite the show having been able to sustain its viewership, signs do, unfortunately, point to this show being canceled.

Showtime was obviously hoping to coast on the name value of the cult classic original, and to an extent that worked out, generating a degree of initial interest around the show. However, a disappointing reception among both critics and audiences didn’t help to improve ratings that have sustained but nonetheless seem a touch on the low side.

Showtime tends to be indecisive when it comes to this sort of thing. Your Honor was initially intended as a limited series but, due to exceptional ratings, it was renewed for a second season. This sets a precedent, but American Gigolo hasn’t done the kind of numbers that the network would need to see in order to justify this decision, especially since, between the cast and the production, this can’t be an inexpensive show to produce.

We predict that American Gigolo will be canceled.

What might American Gigolo Season 2 be about?

While it seems very much like the upcoming finale will tie the events of the first season up quite neatly, there is still potential here for more story. Even if the present-day mystery is solved, Julian’s time in prison could yield plenty more tales, especially with Jon Bernthal being such a compelling and versatile actor.

We could also focus on Isabelle’s rise to power in Julian’s absence, perhaps from the perspective of one of the other escorts. It’d be easy to build all kinds of mysteries and crimes around that. It’s also worth suggesting that Detective Sunday could be the link between seasons. Rosie O’Donnell is playing a fun character that people seem to like, and she could investigate a brand-new mystery that has nothing to do with Julian, but that could still rope in characters from this season, such as Paloma, and perhaps even Julian as a cameo.

41 thoughts on “Will there be an American Gigolo Season 2 on Showtime?

• October 24, 2022 at 3:21 pm

I absofuckinlutly love this series and the actors in their rolls. I sincerely hope that you renew this series for a second season… 8 episodes are NOT [email protected]

• October 25, 2022 at 4:01 pm

At first I assumed it was a remake.?? But learned it’s 15 years later.?? I loved the “back story” of Julian as a young boy and how it all started. I feel however, the story is going just a tad slow. Maybe because we’re so used to streaming and binging. Not sure. But at the end of every episode so far I’m like-man I just want to know already!!!!! Not sure about a continuing storyline. Sometimes it just loses its original story. But we’re enjoying this show ????

• October 25, 2022 at 7:18 pm

Love this series!! So many unanswered questions, need second season

• October 26, 2022 at 2:17 am

I hope there is a season 2 because season one I thoroughly enjoyed
    And so many answers still need to be answered

• October 26, 2022 at 5:30 am

I only get 1 more episode??? Are you kidding me?? I love love love this show. Way better than your honor. Which I liked as well. Showtime until you get me another Homeland with 7 seasons please don’t take this great show

• October 28, 2022 at 9:03 am

I really like this show. There is a lot more that can and should be done with this. Paloma should try to recruit julien’s son and he should be interested because it’s in is blood. There should be fall out from the lawyer. He try to implicate Richard to save his a*s. He drag Olga into the mix.

• October 28, 2022 at 2:14 pm

This show kept me waiting for the next episode each week. Such good acting and writing. I sure hope they bring it back for another season.

• October 28, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Perfect end to season 1 to leave the door open for season 2…lots of interesting questions & the nagging feeling in Sunday’s gut…she will figure it out & that leads to a whole new kind of heart ache for Julian…non deserved …. Based on our info so far…PLEASE…season 2

• October 28, 2022 at 7:37 pm

I Love American Gigolo!!! I’m hooked & I just watched the finale! I’m so upset that there were Only 8 episodes! I Need More!!!
    Please, bring All the main characters back for a 2nd season & MORE!!!

• October 28, 2022 at 7:44 pm

PLEASE Showtime renew American Gigolo for another season. It’s riveting and the acting is first class!!!

• October 29, 2022 at 12:18 am

Absolutely Love this show & it’s Characters. ????? Can’t wait to see 2nd Season & MORE!!!!

• October 29, 2022 at 12:21 am

MOOOOOOORE!!!!!!! PLEASE..So much juice for a 2nd Season..

• October 29, 2022 at 12:22 am

More Gigilo!!!!!!!!!

• October 29, 2022 at 12:23 am

This series deserves a second season. Though it dragged at times, and ventured away from the story line, the characters were good, and well developed. A new story could focus on Julian’s new start that keeps colliding with his past life. Perhaps Sunday could discover more evidence on why he was framed. As a writer myself, I can see the story going in several positive directions. Give us a second season to at least tie up the loose ends.

• October 29, 2022 at 2:47 am

This show was was well written loved all characters and suspenseful writing. Julien character and acting talent shined
    He even looked part. Can can do without mol role. The role played was enough as in one season
    Now Rosie as detective Sunday. My favorite scenes were with her in it. She made show better. Good job. Hate these series get you hooked then nothing to follow. Too many series ending. Makes me not need pY cable as movies show are repetitive no good viewing options need these series to justify 250 dollar cable packages with two main ones.

• October 29, 2022 at 3:00 am

Loved it…. More please.. so many more characters that have more to add to this story and a second season is a must….

• October 29, 2022 at 3:14 am

Yes please renew the series!

• October 29, 2022 at 6:18 am

Loved the show! Please bring it back for a second season.

• October 29, 2022 at 2:27 pm

Please renew!

• October 29, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Love this show. It uplifted me at a time in need for love. It put a fire under my behind that I lost for many years. Please keep this going. Love the actors and their storylines. He’s gorgeous Good on the eye. This may be make believe a fantasy but come on, who doesn’t need a little fantasy in their life. Don’t take this away from us women. I beg you.
    Yours truly,
    A big fan ????

• October 29, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Really hoping for a Second Season! The acting is great as well as the storyline. So much more can happen. Fingers crossed they renew for awhile?

• October 30, 2022 at 2:34 am

Please season 2. Loved this show.
    All the characters were great! Love Julian, love Sunday…. ???PLEASE!!!!

• October 31, 2022 at 2:05 am

Please renew! Loved this 1st Season!! Loved the cast and story line!!! Great job!!

• October 31, 2022 at 2:36 am

I pray there is another season! I loved everything about this season. I’m s a keeper for me!!! Fingers crossed !

• October 31, 2022 at 4:37 am

Dont stop here PLEASE Loved all the actors would love another Season ?

• October 31, 2022 at 7:11 am

Bring on season 2!!!!

• October 31, 2022 at 9:07 am

Isabelle should pay for her crimes. Another season could work. Lorenzo and Julian could take over the business. More future stories that may not involve murder. The truth of the murders of Lisa Beck, her older sister, Olga and Guy should be revealed. Also, stories of Olga’s client list. And other murders that were not discussed in the series. Colin grows up and maybe becomes the next Gigolo & falls in love with someone who looks like Elizabeth.

• October 31, 2022 at 11:52 am

Bring Julien back. I want to know why Isabell was being raised by her aunt? A deeper look into the lives of Calvin and his family. What is the need for bodyguards?

• October 31, 2022 at 10:42 pm

As a huge fan of the film with Richard Gere I’m loving this series. I hope they renew a second season

• November 1, 2022 at 3:16 am

Great show! Showtime stop playing god!
    Give it two seasons, then decide.
    The rating system is to old to give factual data of viewers! Any good writer could make this a hit. You left plenty of holes open from season 1
    This show has every emotion!

• November 1, 2022 at 1:45 pm

John should also be developed as an exonerated person who receives a large settlement for his 15 years lost…this will level the playing field with Richard…and allow Colin to flow easily between the 2 worlds as they will both have a similar lifestyle….Michele can’t pretend forever, but she doesn’t want to force Colin to choose now because the 2 men live in such different (yet similarly seedy) worlds.

• November 1, 2022 at 10:45 pm

The fact that Isabelle’s statement about “working his way up to busboy” played in his head is another theme to develop as his motivation to seek restitution & become successful ….to offer Colin an even playing field to be part of as he gets to know the man who has loved his mom for 15 years and visa versa…his moms true love.

• November 6, 2022 at 1:03 am

I love this show!!!!!!!! Please keep it coming !!

• November 6, 2022 at 11:40 am

Me too. After rewatching, I would like to know what Michelle was referring to in her 1st meeting w/John…” he can’t see you here, he’ll just do it again to all of us”…any thoughts?

• November 7, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Lame transparent plot, ridiculously shallow and poorly written screenplay that was compounded by really weak/minimal/no talent performances by most of the cast. Laughable that Rosie O’Donnell was the most talented actor of the lot. I doubt this low ratings stinker will be renewed, but even if it is, I’ll not waste any more time on this soon to be forgotten series.

• November 7, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Love this show !! Jon was great as was Rosie…ALL the actors were spot on…well written and so much more can be written…PLEASE RENEW !!

• November 7, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Please renew !! The writing the acting the case ALL are Great !!

• November 11, 2022 at 12:26 am

I loved the show! I hope they do a season 2!

• November 12, 2022 at 3:18 am

Season 2 please!

• November 30, 2022 at 4:19 pm

This show should be continued for a season 2, there are so many things that need to be resolved. Loved this series and would hate to see it end. It’s the only reason I subscribed to Showtime!!

• December 7, 2022 at 10:50 am