Haunted season 3, episode 2 recap – “Haunted By Henry” all mine

May 14, 2021
Jonathon Wilson 7
Netflix, TV Recaps

Summary

“Haunted By Henry” sets a new record for ridiculousness by shamelessly attempting to bring its cliched story of a haunted house into the present-day roundtable discussion.

Summary

This recap of Haunted season 3, episode 2, “Haunted By Henry”, contains spoilers.

“Haunted By Henry” sounds like a weird fashion line, or at least it would if you stuck a comma after the word “haunted”, but it’s actually about a mother and her children being besieged by “unsettling events” after moving into the former home of a 19th-century mining magnate. And thus, we begin in Crofton, British Columbia, in 1887, where an accident with a lantern and a trolley full of dynamite leads to quite a kerfuffle, and the besuited magnate, Mr. Croft, not being particularly sympathetic. I mean, he’s a magnate. What was anyone expecting?

Fittingly, then, Wyatt reckons he was haunted by the spirit of a man from the 1800s. This is immediately a return to the usual garbage that this show peddles, which is a shame after a slightly better-than-average premiere. Wyatt’s from the mining town of Crofton, which was named after Mr. Croft, whose house he, his sister, and his mother moved into. He describes it as looking like a haunted house, and he’s right about that. You could imagine if ghosts were real, that they might choose to live there. It certainly doesn’t help that it’s full of giant dolls in grim tableaus (that would have been my “start the car, honey” moment.) The woodshed is full of dusty folders and bloodstains on the wall. There’s a slight note of authenticity here when Wyatt’s sister describes having been bribed to move into the house with a kitten — “Yep, I remember that,” says their mother, in the manner of someone who has had pets to look after. I liked that bit.

Jessica also discovers stores of formaldehyde and embalming fluid and photographs of people in coffins who presumably died in the mines. In the night, Wyatt’s toys start turning on without any batteries — why do ghosts always do that? — and he takes to sleeping in Jessica’s bed, where they both hide under the covers with a torch, which has never gone well for anyone. OBLIGATORY JUMP SCARE. This is getting silly now. Croft appears as a chain-smoking elderly man who pushes Wyatt down the stairs, which he conveniently didn’t tell his mother about at the time. Stuff gets weirder, including a wince-inducing scene with some fish hooks. The toy firetruck features in almost every instance of haunting, for some reason. Wyatt felt he had no choice but to look into the history of the house and delve into the woodshed’s archives, which is a totally normal thing for a kid of his age to do.

Of course, a picture of Henry Croft is in the old papers, and Wyatt recognizes him immediately. He also finds out that the previous tenant in the house had committed suicide, and the place had been left vacant for four years since, until Wyatt and his family moved in, which begs the question of who put that particular newspaper article in the woodshed? If someone was trying to rent the place out, why would they put newspaper stories of dead tenants in the shed?

The climax of Haunted season 3, episode 2 is the entire house being besieged by what looks very much like an earthquake, to be honest, but was obviously ghosts going nuts. Sadly, Jessica’s friend Diane died that night in a car accident, though nobody can quite bring themselves to suggest how these two events might actually be connected. That’s how hauntings work, though, isn’t it? Everything becomes part of the haunting, even stuff that happens further down the road, which makes it especially hilarious when the lights in the studio cut off at that exact moment. Is this really what we’ve resorted to now? The production crew shuffles around with their apologies, and Wyatt and his family discuss how creepy the moment was. I thought this show couldn’t get any more ridiculous, but “Haunted By Henry” set a new record.

7 thoughts on “Haunted season 3, episode 2 recap – “Haunted By Henry”

• May 14, 2021 at 10:45 pm

I live on Vancouver Island, near the town of Crofton.
    I have never heard this story before… likely due to the fact this never happened. Henry Crofts family home is in Victoria BC. Nicknamed “Mount Adelaide”. On Dunsmuir street.
    I tried to find a story about a mine explosion at Lenora mine. Nope.
    I used to think this show had some truth to it. Nope.

• May 15, 2021 at 8:30 pm

I’m not sure if they change locations or certain details of the stories. Sarah is correct, his house was in Victoria. I used to think this show was all BS, actors etc. Especially that episode where they thought the dad was a serial killer. Why didn’t you go to the cops? Why can’t we find record of this?

When I watched this episode I remembered something. When I still had Facebook, I was in some sort of local Vancouver Island group. I think about ghost stories? The guy from this episode was in my group! The actual guy. I remember him talking about having to fly to Toronto (I think) to talk about his experiences for a TV show.

Now I don’t know what details in the episode are changed, fictitious, dramatized etc. But I now know the people and the friends/family they bring with them are who they say they are. And now I’m a bit more creeped out by all of the episodes I have watched ??

• May 17, 2021 at 8:04 pm

I actually live in Crofton. I’ve spent my whole life here. I can’t remember if it’s mentioned, but we’re lead to believe this all happened in Crofton in Henry Croft’s old house. But, his house is in Victoria. A good hour drive away.
    It was cool they included the shot inside the mine. a couple entrances still remain, but you can’t walk inside very far.
    I will say that I did immediately recognize the sister of the man telling the story. I’ve for sure seen her around. So I do know they, or at least just her lives here.
    But again, Henry Croft’s house is in Victoria, and I’m pretty sure it’s always been there. There used to be a train from Victoria to Crofton.

• May 18, 2021 at 11:34 pm

I’m watching this episode at the moment. I had to pause it and Google if anyone shared the same thoughts that immediately came to my mind: how the hell did the newspaper get in the woodshed if the previous resident had committed suicide and no one lived in the house in between. Like, yeah, sure thing.

• May 22, 2021 at 6:41 pm

After watching the episode I did some research, I had lots of difficulties finding the location of Henry’s Croft house, Mte Adelaide, not surprising at all when we know the house was torn down in 1959, how could they have lived inside Henry’s House if the house no longer existed? Big doubts on that episode… I Found the infos on the WEST BAY RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION website where you can read :

“In 1890 “Mount Adelaide” was built for Henry and Mary Dunsmuir Croft and overlooked Victoria’s Harbour from West Bay. The town of Crofton is named after Henry, and Mary was the daughter of the coal baron Robert Dunsmuir.

In 1929 Sam and Ada Matson resumed ownership until 1957 when “Mount Adelaide” was bequeathed to the Salvation Army, whereby it was torn down in 1959.

After many attempts at redevelopment, this promontory of land is where the two towers of “Swallows Landing” now reside “

• May 23, 2021 at 5:24 am

I did lots of digging on the Mt. Adelaide house too, found the same things. But I’m interested in the fact they chose to tear down the manor, and that it took so long for anyone to build something afterwards.

There is a super old portrait of Henry from a newspaper that reads: DEATH CALLS PROMINANT VICTORIAN: “Resident of the city for the last thirty-two years, who passed away suddenly in his home, “Mount Adelaide”, Esquimalt yesterday afternoon.” He was 61.

Is it possible Henry Croft owned multiple homes? I read that his in-laws owned more property near Dunsmuir Road. He was a man of wealth. It wouldn’t be unusual to have a “work” residence near his businesses and a “home” residence for his family. He literally founded Colton…why wouldn’t he have a home there too? And if others say there used to be a train connecting the two places, it would have been a convenience.

In the comments above, Joanna said, “how the hell did the newspaper get in the woodshed if the previous resident had committed suicide and no one lived in the house in between.” And I’d like to note that not everyone cleans out places before the property passes along. When I was a kid, there was a property down the road that had this really really old shack. The house had been sold a couple times, but no one really messed with some of the older structures. When we went into the shack we found tons and tons of 1800’s newspapers and a super old rusted out manual printing press. It was AMAZING. You wouldn’t think anyone would just leave it, but there it was. And now, all grown up, when I bought my house, the basement was completely FILLED with the previous owners odd belongings. People don’t always clean things up.

I found this episode really interesting. I’d love to learn more…if there’s more to it.

• May 23, 2021 at 7:21 am

I needed to air this somewhere it’s burning away it my mind- there never was a ghost, Dude just wanted to bang his sister and the ghost became the cover story.
    She put the fish tackle at the foot of his bed, he is why she went to go sleep downstairs. He wasn’t haunted by a well to do man from the 1800’s, he just shared their sexual predilections for family members.