This article is a preview of The Serpent Queen season 1, episode 3 and contains details of the release date and where to watch online.
Starz’s new darkly satirical period drama The Serpent Queen tells the story of Catherine de’ Medici, one of the most reviled monarchs in history, and takes viewers to 16th century France as she explains her life story to one of her servants, Rahima. In many ways a biography somewhat typical of the modern era, with a contemporary soundtrack and various formal quirks like regular fourth-wall breaks, the new series is reminiscent of everything from Yorgos Lanthimos’s The Favorite to Hulu’s recent The Great.
The Serpent Queen season 1, episode 5 contained several big developments in both timelines. Here’s what happened, in summary:
The Serpent Queen season 1, episode 5 recap:
- In the framing device, after uncovering a plot between Mary and Elizabeth I, Catherine instructs Rahima to search Mary’s quarters for more evidence. At the end of the episode, though, Catherine inexplicably — for now — makes sure Rahima is caught in the act.
- Henri goes off to war against the Holy Roman Emperor, leaving Catherine as Regent. He unwisely takes Diane with him and she persuades him not to fight on the front, damaging his reputation.
- Catherine, despite the King’s privy council being completely unwilling to work with her, manages to gain Protestant support from the French Parliament.
- Diane kills a tailor who expresses grievances with the King, an audience that Catherine arranged as a favor, and of course, Henri immediately forgives her and takes her side.
The Serpent Queen season 1, episode 6 release date
The sixth episode will be released on Sunday, October 16.
Where to watch The Serpent Queen online
The Serpent Queen is exclusive to the Starz premium cable channel and app.
Preview and predictions for The Serpent Queen season 1, episode 6
While no official synopsis is available, we can make some predictions based on both history and what we’ve seen of the show so far:
- Why did Catherine set Rahima up? Was it a test of her loyalty, or just one component in another big scheme? I’m betting the latter.
- Diane’s addiction to the “liquid gold” will worsen.
- Catherine probably won’t fall for any of Henri’s horseshit again, and will likely actively try to get rid of Diane.
- The Bourbons will probably attempt to prove their usefulness after Catherine circumvented them.