Extrapolations Season 1 Episode 8 Recap and Ending Explained

April 21, 2023
M.N. Miller 0
Apple TV+, Ending Explained, Streaming Service, Weekly TV
View allNext Episode


Extrapolations trudges its way to a lackluster finale.

We recap the Apple TV+ series Extrapolations Season 1 Episode 8, “2070,” which contains spoilers and explains the Ending.

The season finale of Extrapolations trudges its way to a lackluster finale. Diane Lane is good here, as she finally takes a starring role in the episode. However, most of the writing leans back on its preachy stagnant storytelling.

Extrapolations Season 1 Episode 8 Recap

Nicolas Bilton finds his daughter Decima performing a simulation with her favorite singer, Tyone Downs, an effective protestor against Bilton’s mines. He is interrupted and called to his office.

He records a message because he is about to be arrested. The international court has called Nicolas Bilton to stand trial for his crimes of ecocide. Now, the board has elected Martha to take over for him as Alpha Industries’ acting president.

She meets investors and notes Alpha is down 17%. Carbon is 564 million parts per million in the earth’s atmosphere, which Martha says is the biggest gift Alpha could be giving since handing out free water.

Why is Rebecca called to Nicolas Bilton’s tribunal?

Rebecca worked for Menagerie2100 and testified that Bilton intentionally was gathering genetic IPs on mammals such as whales and elephants. He then killed off specific species. Why? So they could be used later as hot ticket items because people are more likely to buy tickets to see those animals.

They could be used as digital platforms for entertainment viewing or even brought back in limited quantities. They argue that he directly caused carbon issues to benefit from the crimes against nature. Bilton’s lawyer argues that Rebecca holds a grudge for what happened to her work and her son, Ezra, because he wiped his memory of her.

What is Newcomen?

Newcomen is a project by Nicolas Bilton to filter carbon out of the atmosphere. Jonathan Chopin is called to the stand to testify on the Newcomen issue. He was in charge, but Chopin could not get it to work.

Chopin was fired and replaced by Martha Russell. He testifies that Bilton expressed frequently he was put in favor of geoengineering because it shortened the temperature in the short term. Still, it was great from an Alpha public relations standpoint.

So, Chopin feels that Bilton intentionally raised the carbon because it made him money. However, it also benefited the future because he would invent the machine to fix the problem he profited from. Bilton’s lawyer argues that Chopin is testifying for his son, Rowan, who was convicted of terrorism.

The court agrees. They have Chopin’s testimony stricken, and he is dismissed.

Who is the mole at Alpha Industries?

Martha is the mole at Alpha Industries and is feeding information to the prosecution. She uses an avatar to answer questions in court. A scientist invented the Newcomen, but she named it Decima after her daughter.

Bilton stopped the machine from being made and owned 49% of the patent. The other 51% is in Decima’s name. However, since no one knows about Bilton’s child, he has a controlling interest in the machine. Decima is watching the trial on television and puts it all together. She now turns on her father.

Bilton does his summation. He blames political leaders, older generations, and the current human race for climate change. He also says that his machine will reduce carbon in the air to 470. Strange to blame the jury and then dangle a carrot in front of his face. Yet, he does and is voted not guilty by a two-to-one vote.

Tyrone Jones was the prosecutor’s partner and, as mentioned above, a thorn in Bilton’s side. He was killed in an assassination ordered by Martha Russell. He offers the prosecutor a peace offering by showing her a video of Russell containing the hit and her partner being killed.

However, the prosecutor knows that he is doing this because Russell must have something on Bilton, which is the existence of Decima.

Extrapolations Season 1 Ending Explained

Why does Decima testify against her father?

Decima testifies against her father because he refuses to drop the carbon to 350 parts per million and use her as intellectual property. Decima uses herself as IP evidence of his crimes and connection the original Newcomen/Decima machine.

Bilton is convicted of crimes against nature and placed in an outer space prison floating above the Earth.

What did you think of Extrapolations Season 1 Episode 8 and the Ending? Comment below.

More Stories

Find where to watch this and more with our Discovery Tool

Explore Now
View allNext Episode

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.