This week’s episodes of Our Beloved Summer have danced around the issue somewhat, but finally, in the latest outing, we got the moment we’ve been waiting for — Yeon-su and Ung finally kissed in the present day, and in a very well-done and visually beautiful scene, no less. This, presumably, will represent a turning point as we reach the halfway mark, and hopefully the show gathers some moment in the back half. Ahead of Our Beloved Summer season 1, episode 9 & 10, both coming in the first week of January, here’s more or less where things stand:
- In the usual flashbacks, we learned more about the dynamic between Ung and Yeon-su — primarily that he has a tendency to run away from his problems, and to allow Yeon-su to be domineering in their relationship. In the present day we see this dynamic reversed somewhat.
- NJ and Ung continued to bond, as did Yeon-su and Ji-ung.
- The documentary crew whisked Yeon-su and Ung away to a remote countryside location for a few days of filming, and their relative isolation only exacerbates the tensions.
- Ung and Yeon-su finally kissed.
Our Beloved Summer season 1, episodes 9 and 10 release date
Our Beloved Summer season 1, episode 9 will be released on Netflix on January 3, 2022, and we don’t anticipate any changes in scheduling. Our Beloved Summer season 1, episode 10 will be released the day after.
Where to watch online
Our Beloved Summer is a Korean drama on Netflix and is available to stream on the platform (with a subscription). Viewers can watch the episode by tuning into the platform every Monday and Tuesday.
Needless to say, we’ve reached a turning point. As we enter the back half of the season, there are plenty of different directions for Our Beloved Summer to go in. Here’s some of what might happen:
- Given how Ung and Yeon-su are, can we even rely on them to acknowledge the kiss straight away? It wouldn’t surprise me to waste at least another episode on them beating around the bush, fretting over whether they made a mistake or not.
- Having been “rejected” by Ung, at least in her mind, will NJ make more of an effort to pursue him, or will she go in the opposite direction?
- How will Ji-ung take the reconciliation? I think his loyalty to Ung will outweigh his lust for Yeon-su, but you never know.